Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at Snocross in Fargo, we got to see an RX-1 go for a couple of rips around the track.

I must say, that it looks quite nice, but the sound it was emitting was less than desireable. It sounded sick, it wasn't sick because it sure looked like it had LOTS of power. It flew nice over the finishing tabletop too, but it didn't sound healthy. Idling it sounds ok, but when Vincent opened it up it made this... noise. It sure did spin snow though, lots of power there.

They also had a cool cutaway view of the engine, and how the exhaust is routed through the tunnel and stuff, they had displays showing the different colors and I think they look pretty sharp.

I still don't think I'm ready for a 4-stroke sled though.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
my dad talked to a yamaha rep for about 30 minutes about all his crap with the Viper today at the Big Boulder HillClimb / drag races. In the end the guy ended up offering him a rear heat exchanger(at cost) and 2 shirts, 1 for my dad 1 for me. Now my dad is semi considering trading his VIper in on an RX-1 again. Even after saying he wouldn't buy another Yamaha.
He wants the suspension that it has. I guess it will be a real nice sled seems to have lots of power and just plain be great but I don't know it is another first year yamaha.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Yea, it souned nice when it was idling and when it was reved up, but when it was going around the track I didn't like the sound. I sounds like those 4-stroke dirtbikes compared to the 2-strokes. It is a nice machine but they make it sound weak I think.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i was at the snocross yesterday too, and saw the rx-1 in action. i'm pretty sure that the exhaust wasn't stock on it though. in yammi's video clips it's much quieter like the r1, and when the yami rep started it up at their display and revved it up it was lots quiter. anyway, there's no way that sled vincent was running would be legal in sound issues- it was much louder than any of the stock sleds running. for that matter, it was louder than some of the mods too. that sled also had ohlins remote reservoir shocks on the front, which i'm not sure if they come on the factory released ones. that sled also looked quite nose heavy, it really plowed in the corners, vincent really had to let off to get her to turn decent. and yes, they look much better in person, to the point where i wouldn't be embarrased to ride with one.

There's no stopping Arctic Cat........ REALLY!!

'99 XC SP 500

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, ppl from the forum were there yesterday, and they didn't want to come meet me & erick. I"m disappointed.

Yeah, the display RX-1 was a lot quieter when he revved it up, it sounded better, but it still didn't sound as nice as the buzz a 2-stroke makes.

Now that you mention it, I doubt it was stock, they might have made it louder to show it off to the whole stadium I guess.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
haha, i did say i was gonna be there in another post, but i had no idea so many others were gonna be there. yeah it sure would have been fun to meet up somewhere. i'd say next year, but i'll be too far away by then. maybe we'll have to hook up at the outdoor deadwood race ;)

There's no stopping Arctic Cat........ REALLY!!

'99 XC SP 500

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
the RX1 sounded like a quad 4 that is strait piped, my friend has a quad 4 in his grand am w/ a strait pipe on it, and it sounds similar, not very good...for noise, tho, it is pretty cool, but the sound it makes, isnt the greatest, the display was way to quiet for me tho.

There's always next year....

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
for everything i read and heard they are a mean sled from 50mph on up but no one has said how they are in the short corner to corner where you go 40to 10to40to10ect.... all in a few short feet.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
it seemed pretty ballsy in the dome, the skis didnt get 2 feet off the ground when he canned it, but its got a hellofa engine in the front end too.....i took 191 fricken pictures but my digital camera sux so all the pics are blurry except for the still ones like at the starts and of the sleds on the concourse. you should went inteneded...they had a pretty cool cutout of the engine of the RX1 and the exhaust and stuff.

There's always next year....

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i thought he pulled the skis off the ground pretty good a couple times? well, from a roll the thing kicked pretty hard, so it must not be a dog on the low-end, but again the fact that that particular rx-1 wasn't bone stock comes into play.....

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:
Now my dad is semi considering trading his VIper in on an RX-1 again. Even after saying he wouldn't buy another Yamaha.
He wants the suspension that it has. I guess it will be a real nice sled seems to have lots of power and just plain be great but I don't know it is another first year yamaha.

[/quote]

I might be wrong here, but I was under the impression that it has the exact same rear suspension as the Viper. Being that its the rear suspension where you really notice a difference.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i'm sure it's somewhat revised to compensate for the new engine, drive components, etc. i believe he was referring to the front suspension though- new front a-arm setup versus conventional yammi trailing arm. this would be noticeable to most aggressive riders, while average trail riders probably wouldn't be the wiser.

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
well yes the front is different but the rear is as well. The rear uses different shocks and shock mounting brackets setup for a much much smoother trail cruiser friendly ride. My dad asked about getting the RX-1 Shocks for his Viper but the Yamaha guy said they have different mounts so it wouldn't work out. Otherwise the rear is the same yes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts