Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine was last year, we had a big group and we were heading across a lake. I had one of my friends 7 year old on with me and we broke through. I pinned the throttle to pull us out and flew off the lake. He said it was the most fun he had ever had, but my heart was beating about 500 times a minute. He did not know what had happened. He still thinks it was pretty cool.

I have been through before, but not with a kid on.

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eyes2.gif

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I had something similar happen(no kids on board), we always hit this one lake actually called Polaris Lake!! Anyway we usally cruz the lake on the way to the trails and on the way home, there is a small pennisula on it that makes for a great jump. I was coming across and hit the jump, when I landed I broke through the ice.... I just held the throttle and came back on top of good ice, the scarriest part was I had three other buddies behind me that were going to hit it too, the guy right behind managed to make it through also and I ended up waving the other two off in time. After falling through ice two years ago ice fishing, I have a nervous feeling anytime I get on it!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well last year, i was ouot sleddin with a bunch of friends on lake of the woods, and we were bar hoppin, there was this place where the road on the ice went up and over this little penunsilla, i thought to my self a sweet jump, so i hit it and when i hit it i saw a truck right infront of me, i wiped and barley missed him, so thats my scarest momeent, jsut bout hittin a truck in mid air.

Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, i have had alot, but this one was the one that got my heart pounding. Its acctually kind of silly and also involves a lake.

Well, i was heading out to the fish house on my dads XLT. Dead middle of winter and there were cars all over the lake. Well, im riding along and i look down and i could swear i was on water. I could see right down, no snow no nothing, it looked like glass. I just pinned it and my heart sunk through the floor. I was just flying along thinking anytime now i was going to go under. But it wasn't bumpy or nothing, just like i was riding on ice. I started to slow down when i came up on some fish houses that had cars next to them. I looked back and i could see my tracks going accross. It wasn't water, it was purly clear ice. I could see right down to the water. And it was very thick. It was very scary when i had first seen it. Also with the ice, and me pinning it the track just broke loose like no tommorrow and that added to the feeling of being on water.

#2 - This ones short. My grandpa lives on a lake and we always go and ride up there. We had the whole family out there on the lake, and we stoped to take a break and we were all together in a group. When we were taking off again i just started goign and i felt my back end just drop like a rock. I just pinned it and i came back up, i thought i was goign under for sure. This happened to a few other of my family members too. With all the weight of the group some cracks must have formed and made the ice unstable or something. It was really scarry.

so many more, so little time.

AKA, indy500 or XCR800_has_balls

·
Registered
322 Posts
When I broke my leg 3 years ago. I remember NOW how icy the road was, but I remember how scary it was seeing the fence and knowing I couldn't miss it. Now that IS when I was young AND dumb. I learned my lesson though...BIG TIME.

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride
2002 MX Z 800 X Yellow/Black

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
My scariest would be my surprise jump last year. I was drag racing at the end of the season on a half snow half grass track up at Big Boulder Ski Resort. I had been running the one side of the track the whole day then I really awnted to run my friends so I switched to the other side. I had been told that side was rough but I didn't know how rough. On the finish line was a bump across the entire thing. I would hit it when I ran the one side and get the skis off the ground nothing more. Well it was different on the other side. I hit the bump at prolly 80MPH and launched. I swear I had to be 15 - 20 feet in the air and flew prolly 25. I knwo this sounds like a not so large jump but when you aren't expecting it AT ALL its scary and I mean scary. Well I came down skis first and when I hit the ground I was thrown forward and pegged the throttle. That through me off balance then I hit another large bump which through me off so much I rolled on the side. I was dragged a good distance on the side of the sled before I let go and the sled coasted to a stop about 2 feet from the edge of a drop off into some trees.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Okay I can't match these but heres mine so far.

It was last year and we had gotten alot of rain, and the snow onthe lake had all frosen to ive, so it was just a pure skating rink. anyway, I when into a corner to quick, and the back end started to slid out. I was sliding sideways when I hit a small ice patch and rolled the sled. Now this wasn't the scary part.... The scary part was when I got up and thought what my dad was gonna do.

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
your lucky, one of our friends in our group did the same but his caught and through him into some rocks puncturing his lung. He survived but he takes it a bit more easy these days.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
My brakes failed.
The lever pulled all the way, no stopping, OH NO...i had planned to SLOW down before making a corner in the woods, but instead i almost crashed into the trees. Luckily i made it. If i would have been thinking, i should have hit the kill switch, but i didn't.

Crashed through a fence/gate.
I was a passenger riding on back of the sled, we were riding a trail in the cow pasture, I saw the wooden gate with barbed wire coming up, the driver DID NOT see it! I tried to warn him, but we were going too fast. I bailed off the backend at 50 mph and slid to a stop, i looked up and saw the sled and driver smash through the fence, flipped the sled over, smashed a bunch of other stuff, and tore-up his snow-suit and jacket because of the barbed wire. We were both fine.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Ouch.

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
2 Posts
2 seasons ago I hit a slush patch on the Hudson River up by Necomb, NY. Scarry I thought it was ice then all of a sudden I felt the whole machine start to sink. Ive been on open water before but I knew and hit the throttle accordingly. This incident was sudden and I was going slow. I made it out but I was drenched and very thankful, it could of been much worse.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've had a few. Rolls down mountains, dismounts at 50+. One good one that stands out though is I was riding trails in late October in Wyoming. Had a foot of snow so you could fly. I came around a trail and ran into a bull moose!! Just brushed him, but left some hair by the hood latch area. I don't know who was more scared, him or me..... Man they're big!

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hmmm let me see. I seem to have something every trip out. I cant really think of the scariest. how about the one when I was up north riding for a weekend. We had been there enough to know the trails a little. I was leading the other three guys. I new we were coming to a really fast section that was as wide as a road. On this section was a series of up and down high hills that you could really fly off and land way down the back face like a ski jumper. So I hit the first and second and third jump increasing in speed and confidence with each jump. On the fourth jump I got a wierd feeling but it was too late. I hit the jump as far to the right as i dare because of the wierd feeling. Good thing. Half way up the back face was an old helmetless ice fisherman returning from the lake pulling a long sleigh behind him. he was on our side of the trail. I flew over and to the just to the right of him. landing with my left ski on the edge of the sliegh. The adrenilin was going 90 but I was safe. The scary part of this story was the helpless feeling as i watched to see if the others would nail him. They all came over and all missed him. Do you know he never even stopped or seemed to notice what was going on. I think he was plastered and on auto pilot going home. One foot to the left and I would probably decapitated him.

Reasonable people adapt to the world around them....Unreasonable people try to change it.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i dont know about scary looking back but it was the funniest thing my buddy ever saw. we were on rush lake, going about 50 looking for a trail, i seen a little drift ahead of me about 4-6 inchs tall, i ran it over with the track but it was an ice chunk, it bounced the rear of the sled up to a 45 degree angle and i was doing a hand stand on my bars, i remember looking at my hands to make sure i was holding on tight and wondering what is going to happen, when i came back down my feet were stretched out behind me dragging along and the hump of the seat was in my gut. i pulled my feet up and kept on riding hoping noone saw but i looked over and had to stop and get air from laughing when i seen my buddys eyes.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am a new to the is forum I just registered. My Most scary moment on a sled was when i was 13 and i ran our artic cat prowler up a swing set at about 30mph. I was srewing around in this medow and their was this turn that swept up. Like when your powder riding and the machine is sideways only this was hard packed. Well i took it like that a couple times. And the on the third or fourth time i hit it as a jump.I tried tyo stop but the brakes failed. The right ski rode up the pole and it flipped me. I have a permanant indention on my right leg from hitting a 3inch pole.

Then 9 months later i totaled the machine when i hit a tree at 30mph. Nothing happed to me then.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I hate to type but here goes. About 6 of us are running across Houghton lake doing about 90 during Tip Up Town in the dark. All of the sudden our trail boss who always knows where everything is veers hard to the right. My buddy tries to avoid him but end up hitting his yamaha in the trailing arm and climbing right straight over trail boss's hood spiralling straight up about 10 feet in the air. Rider went one way and the sled came down hard (99 Yamaha SRX) on the back of the tunnel. On landing the hood came open and the battery is laying on the ice sparking and still attached. My friend was able to get up even though his leg was hurt we stuffed the battery back in the Yamaha closed the hood and took off. (Lots of law at TuT and we didn't want to get held up.) The reason the trail boss swerved is because the festival organizers had moved the orange fence for the drag races that day and didn't even put any markers on it. Since I was a little bit behind on a borrowed sled I saw the whole thing.

My buddy is still riding the Yamaha after a few minor repairs.

I know it didn't happen to me but I was there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts