Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Well for my English class, I have to write a persuasive essay. I would like to do it on something concerning Snowmobiles or issues related to snowmobiles. It has to be a topic worth interest, not like why Arctic cat is Better than Yamaha or something.

Only thing I had in mind was 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke vs. E-tech motors.

any thoughts?

Much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I wrote a persuasive speech for my college comm. class on why banning snowmobiles in Yellowstone was BS, and found information to disprove some of the "supposed" reasoning the greenies used to help ban sleds.

I thought it was a great paper/speech...had many positive comments from a few of my classmates...my instructor thought differently. He claimed it wasn't a relevant topic. I ended up deciding it wasn't worth the fight (after a couple conversations with my instructor) and accepted my grade. I still received an ok mark, but it should have been better.

So, basically, it's great that you are writing about something you care about, BUT, you also must keep others in mind. Your grade relies on the essay, which is on the shoulders of your instructor...keep him/her happy. Ask first, and if he/she doesn't think it's the greatest idea, I would move on.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Going off what Quinlan said, find out what interest your teacher and write about that. Back in high school I had a writing/speach teacher that liked off the wall stuff and basically anything that didn't bore him. So when we had a debate me and my friends debated on whether or not Mario or Luigi was better and how baby mario was some sort of illegitimate love child between peach and mario, and showing how mario was a bad parent. It didn't make any sense, and it was a horrible excuse for a debate, but the teacher liked it and we got an A.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Basically what Quinlan said.

And if you get into the technical stuff more like "2 stroke vs. 4 stroke vs. E-tech motors." or something to that effect, it may bore someone who is not into that kind of stuff... like every english teacher i can think of. The current event topics usually are better to do.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Do a speech on why someone should ride snowmobiles? or
Why snowmobiles are important? such as economic(creates jobs) physical(gotta move the sled around) phsycological (loose your worries until you break down), environmental (deer that use snowmobile trails)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If your teacher is highly against snowmobiles, i would steer away from doing a paper on it. Chances are your going to get a lower grade than the paper is actually worth.

If not, go for it! Should be fun to write about and the teacher might enjoy it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
jesse500 said:
Hello all, Well for my English class, I have to write a persuasive essay. I would like to do it on something concerning Snowmobiles or issues related to snowmobiles. It has to be a topic worth interest, not like why Arctic cat is Better than Yamaha or something.

any thoughts?

Much appreciated!
this is one that just pissed me off look at this website

http://www.mnresponsiblerec.org/endinggastaxfunding.htm

so this guy want to cut all the funding so they dont hear our "metalic beasts" in the woods. what pisses me off is that we fill our sleds, 4 wheelers, off road motorcycles, boats and other rec vehicles with those pumps AND pay tax on it. this needs to get out there more!!!!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
i did a project on snowmobiling for my senior project. theres some good stuff on how snowmobiles effect the land and air. snowmobiles dont actually harm the wild life much at all. like deer are way more scared of a person walking that a sled zooming by. and there is more wildflower growth where trails are.

or that snowmobile sound levels should not be so strict compared to harleys. harleys are louder and ride in town near homes, snowmobiles are riden in the country away from most homes.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
NathanExplosion said:
jesse500 said:

any thoughts?

Much appreciated!

so this guy want to cut all the funding so they dont hear our "metalic beasts" in the woods. what pisses me off is that we fill our sleds, 4 wheelers, off road motorcycles, boats and other rec vehicles with those pumps AND pay tax on it. this needs to get out there more!!!!
god dam i am not even from mn and that pisses me off, i will definately be passing that around to my rec vehicle buddys, might as well get prepared because if it happens there ownt be long till it happens here, i dont care if they cut the funding but then we shouldnt have to pay gas tax either, i mean we shouldnt anyway atleast snowmobiles and some four wheeler never even touch the "ailing" roads, yet they pay taxes of the fuel

anyway to help on your essay, i did one for my class concerning the use of bio fuels vs regular fuels and i felt i got the grade it deserved i didnt put 100% effort into it, i also did a research paper on snowmobiles and rec vehicles in general going over there history, what they are used for and the econmic benefits of them

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Quinlan said:
So, basically, it's great that you are writing about something you care about, BUT, you also must keep others in mind. Your grade relies on the essay, which is on the shoulders of your instructor...keep him/her happy. Ask first, and if he/she doesn't think it's the greatest idea, I would move on.
Reminds me of one of my college speeches on global warming. I had a female teacher and pretty much all females classmates. I found it best to do the speech promoting global warming [confused] ,it was the easiest path to keep the class and teacher content. I ended up with a perfect grade on it. But the funny part is that I was taking power plant school at the time and didn't own a vehicle that would pass a smog test. I didn't agree with my own speech I wrote but it got me the grade I wanted.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
RMK-KING said:
Quinlan said:
Reminds me of one of my college speeches on global warming. I had a female teacher and pretty much all females classmates. I found it best to do the speech promoting global warming [confused] ,it was the easiest path to keep the class and teacher content. I ended up with a perfect grade on it. But the funny part is that I was taking power plant school at the time and didn't own a vehicle that would pass a smog test. I didn't agree with my own speech I wrote but it got me the grade I wanted.
And some of those "all female" classmates? [;)]

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
NathanExplosion said:

This may be something to write about. Come up with a better way for trail funding. (I don't know where funding comes from in Canada though)

IMO- If they cut that money going to the DNR, then we BETTER NOT have to pay for road tax when filling up our sleds and such. I know that will never happen though.

This is just one more way the greenies are trying to attack us!! They will piss and moan until they get what they want.

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you want to do something about snowmobiles the easiest thing do is Banning Snowmobiles in Yellowstone. I did my big senior project on this as well as some other speeches and essays during high school and got a great grade. There is tons of information on the internet about this topic from both sides.(like numbers, statistics, economics, general public opinion, government) I think it may be hard to write to persuade someone to ride or 2 stroke vs. 4stroke because it will be hard to find facts and it will end up being mainly opinion.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
RMK-KING said:
Quinlan said:
screw that. tell it like it is if anyone has a problem with what you say they can debate you or shut up. i tended to be a boat rocker in school! many days i spent carrying my desk into the hall. ha!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Student Driver said:
DEFINATELY the land use issues.
The greenies have been trying to take our riding areas for some time now.
Damned Tree Huggers anyway.
Here's a good site to check out for info:
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
I have a bumper sticker the greenies love says earth first we will log the other planets later......lol

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
thats what i hate about english class and essays they are written from an opinion, and they are graded on opinion if the opinions dont match you get an F

·
Registered
268 Posts
dodgetruck2 said:
thats what i hate about english class and essays they are written from an opinion, and they are graded on opinion if the opinions dont match you get an F
This is all due to fact are school system is run by the left and if you don't agree you fail...............

·
Registered
848 Posts
kennybtrail1 said:
dodgetruck2 said:
This is all due to fact are school system is run by the left and if you don't agree you fail...............
I think it is a common trend in English anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts