Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 81 Scorpion Sidewinder pistons are stuck so I am going to see if I can get it up and running again. I figured I'd start a new thread because my first post was about buying this sled. Did I mention I picked it up for 50 bucks! Came with a decent original Scorpion cover to boot!

[?]What exact model El Tigre is the match for the Sidewinder? 5000 or the 6000? I read somewhere that the only parts that are not a match are the coil and stator. Is that fact? If so, I assume that I can search the engine parts for the 1981 Arctic Cat and they will match.

Thanks In-advance to anyone who helps with these questions![thumb]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I bought a 76' Polaris Electra this summer with a seized crank & top end, and I broke it loose, and got it showing 110 PSI compression.

Pop the head off and ascess the damage. Pour oil down the cylinders, and start working those pistons loose, carb cleaner works well to eat up grime in the motor. Remember to hone and emmory cloth the cylinders if your not buying the new ones.

Once the top end is loose, take the juggs off and put a decent amount of oil (2-stroke/4-stroke) in. Let it sit and try to turn the motor over often.

That is a nice process if your just trying to get it loose.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2010111211910843_6408.jpg
Well I managed (better give my best bud Larry credit- he did most of the work) to get the bottom end to move freely and have it soaking in oil. It looks like the mag side ate a ring and scored up the cylinder pretty good. Pressed some chunks into the head as well.

I am going to need a new jug. How difficult would a new/used jug be to find? Will an El Tigre jug match?

Thanks for the pointers Dragon700- that is more or less what we did except we pulled both jugs and then poured oil into the bottom end. We did not pull the bottom end out. Once we are sure it's all free whats the best way to get the oil out of the bottom end?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
ltd440snowrider said:
Thanks for the pointers Dragon700- that is more or less what we did except we pulled both jugs and then poured oil into the bottom end. We did not pull the bottom end out. Once we are sure it's all free whats the best way to get the oil out of the bottom end?
I jerry-rigged a vaccum tube with a tiny stray at the end. If you want to take it a step further, split the crankcase, and wipe out all the oil, check for rust, and emmory cloth where there is rust.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dragon700 said:
ltd440snowrider said:
I jerry-rigged a vaccum tube with a tiny stray at the end. If you want to take it a step further, split the crankcase, and wipe out all the oil, check for rust, and emmory cloth where there is rust.
Thanks- I'll go the wet vac route! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great find! Anyway, if you want to find someone to get you interchange answers on this one...go to vintagesleds.com. I would assume a jug from an L/C cat from the same era will work, but those fellas will tell you for sure. Good luck, don't give up on it.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
It is a Suzuki spirit engine, so any of the same size will work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts