Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys blew a drive belt the otehr day and since replacing it. After i having been riding my sled for a while and come to a stop the belt screeches. There is no power loss belt is on in the right direction. does do it on first start up just when i am just about stopped and while it idles after stopping. ANy ideas??? and it is the right size belt according to my dealer. sled is a 99 MM700

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
What kind of belt did you replace it with? Sometimes after a belt blows you need a clutch re-allignmnet, also some aftermarket belts require clutch shims to ride right.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
well just becasue i checked my parts manual and it says the OEM belt for that is 8DN-17641-00 theres a few others model number i can get you but thats the OEM number and thats for a 99 mountain max 700 right

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
its because the belt you replaced was worn down. mine does it too, as long as your sled dosnt do it really bad and run afay from you when at idle it should be fine. using the smallest shim to make my belt deflection bigger makes my belt too loose so i screech every now and then. when i replaced my old belt i did have to re adjust deflection so you might have to aswell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
making that adjustment very hard?? or is this something i should get done at the shop???

Oh thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
on a cat secondary you have to take the secondary off the sled and take it apart and put the shim between the sheives. not too hard

·
Registered
295 Posts
set your belt deflection and the sound will disappear. you are sitting to high in the secondary. the best way to check deflection is to have your sled on a stand and set the deflection so the track just barely turns when the motor is idling or you just need a two finger push to make the track turn. all to often i hear of my fellow sledders say they have a bog at start. belt deflection is very important.when you start in second gear, difficult to keep up with buddy

·
Registered
131 Posts
The belt deflection may be set for an old belt, and then if someone has installed a new belt without changing the belt deflection it would be too tight. This is a common issue. If you don't know how to set belt deflection on your sled someone here probably can help you. On my Vmax there are spacer screws that keep the secondary from fully closing on a new belt so it won't pull too tight at idle, and once the belt wears down the belt is narrower and the secondary needs to close fully in order to get the proper tension at idle, so then (on my sled) you add washers to the adjustment screws. On the Polaris machines I've worked on there's a nifty little ring right on the front of the secondary that you just loosen and you can adjust a range of belt deflection settings.

Also if any water is somehow dripping onto your belt or clutches, it will squeal. Also be sure you have the right belt installed. But it's probably the belt deflection. First day out ever on my Yamaha with a new belt the thing would start screaming every time I came to a stop, very embarrassing. I adjusted the belt deflection and it never happened again. If it is the belt deflection the squealing will eventually go away as the belt gets worn down, and it will wear out faster than normal because it's too tight, so you have that to look forward to. If nobody responds in this thread on how to actually set belt deflection on your sled, start a new thread specifically asking for that info and I'm sure you'll get the answer.

Okay, update, the Yamaha website has your answer. According to the owner's manual, it's just like my sled. There are 3 adjustment screws, and they will each need a spacer (washer) removed, which allows the screws to go in farther which holds the secondary sheaves apart slightly more for a newer belt. If you take out the adjustment screws and find that there are no washers in there, then you may have a real problem, because 0 washers is the correct setting for a new belt. You will have to actually remove the secondary in order to do this, but it's as simple as taking off the belt and removing the one bolt from the jackshaft and it will slide right off. There might be some spacers on the jackshaft so don't lose them or mix them up when you pull off the secondary. But the clutch itself is self-contained and will pull right off in one piece and give you easy access for this adjustment. Then, like I said, it's just three little screws in the back that adjust how far the sheaves sit open by whether or not you have washers in there when you tighten them down.

Here is the link that will take you to your owner's manual. This information is on page "8-13". (Chapter 8 page 13, not pages 8 through 13). Sometimes these manuals expect you to know stuff that you may not know, so if you need more detailed instructions, post here again. This is a job anyone can do, don't pay someone to do it unless you have more money than time.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/...rt_manuals.aspx

This post has been edited by Beaxch: Jan 13 2007, 05:27 AM

--------------------
1996 Yamaha Vmax 600 Mountain Max w/ '03 Summit skis
1992 Polaris SKS 500 EFI w/ 136"x1.75" & '03 RMK skis.
1990 Arctic Cat EXT Special w/ '05 Camoplast trail skis.
1995 Tracpac ride-on/ride-off 2-place split-bed tilt trailer
1990 Honda Civic 1.6L with class I hitch from etrailer.com
1984 Ford F-250 7.5L for heavy-duty towing @ 9MPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all the help. Talked to the mechanic at the shop today and he showed me what to do. was only a 5 minute job, but a good thing to know none the less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts