Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have been having a pop/backfiring problem lately have it has got worse over the past few days. Im thinking its a dirty carb or something with the carbs. Even though i do have a homemade can it ran fine with no problems for about 4 weeks with the can. So i am pretty sure its not that but never know it could be. Thats why i am buying a actual can for it so i know i wont have any issues. Any who today i put SEA FOAM in it today and things seemed to act up after i did. I went about 300 feet and knew something is not right so i stopped checked the plugs and the pto side was white! I put a new plug in it ran it about 20 feet and still not right checked the plugs and white! Got the sled home and i did a psi test still over 120 psi so i know its not blown. So my question is by putting to much sea foam in will that cause mu plug to turn white?

·
Registered
122 Posts
White indicates a lean condition. how much sea foam did you put in? Sea Foam contains Isopropyl Alcohol to absorb any water, and i'm wondering if it caused the mixture to burn hotter.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
SeaFoam is not your problem here.
You're sucking extra air into that cylinder.
Check your crank seal's, carb boots, and base gasket's for leak's.
Any of those going bad will cause a lean condition.
If you don't diagnose and fix it "Right Now", the next step is Meltdown.

Rick

·
Registered
258 Posts
Festus33 said:
SeaFoam is not your problem here.
You're sucking extra air into that cylinder.
Check your crank seal's, carb boots, and base gasket's for leak's.
Any of those going bad will cause a lean condition.
If you don't diagnose and fix it "Right Now", the next step is Meltdown.

Rick
x2 on what Rick stated above. I use seafoam every year, and this is not the problem. Its possible that the seafoam has done its job, knocked some gunk loose and is plugging a jet/needle etc.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I use sea-foam all of the time, If a sled has been sitting for a while, I will pour some down the plug hole, it will eat the carbon out of the lands, and free up the rings. Sea-foam also goes in the first and last tank of the year, kind of like stabil.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
New plugs wont show color very good right away either.

Listen to rick and check the other problems first.

·
Registered
591 Posts
spray behind your primary, carb boots, and around your base gasket with carb cleaner while the sled is running, if the rpms drop at all, you have an airleak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts