Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 650 indy,i dont have a good seal where my pipes go onto the flanges..what type of sealant or ?? can i use to seal them properly? something that wont melt off .thanks for any help

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go to your local automotive store and buy a tube of exhaust sealent, take a little out of the tube, roll it in your hands into a long wire form and then apply it. Pack it in there tight and make sure its sealed,

Patrick

·
Registered
187 Posts
The best I have used is Ultra copper it is a high-temp silicone,we use it on our sleds and on our headers of our drag car and we haven't had any leaks and if you know about headers they always leak

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
dont use the orange sillicone if any use the black rtv sealer..the black is for the hottest temps,but i wouldnt recomend using either..i would use some muffler cement

·
Registered
637 Posts
the orange stuff is high temp 1300c.. it works great.. the black stuff is not high temp.. the black rtv they sell at crappy tire is only good to 400c so definatly don't use that.. just check the heat rating on the package..

why would fiberglass your exhaust pipes on..?

·
Registered
637 Posts
This is what I would use..

Heat resistant, tough and ready to help stop exhaust leaks due to warped exhaust flanges. Orange RTV Silicone is your answer to high temperature sealing problems. Use it to reinforce exhaust gaskets during engine assembly and to reduce the danger of troublesome exhaust leaks.

it's designed for exactly that application..

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why can't you just get a gasket set and replace the exause gasket? Then this summer, take it apart, and replace the old gaskets with the new ones in the kit. You also make sure that the bolts were tightened down? Under tightening will cause the bolts to loosen and back out, over tightening will either strip the threads out of the jug, or stretch the bolt. I had that problem, those exaust bolt loosen up all the time on my sled w/locktight and lock washers, I just bring a few extra and check it once in a while.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Trust me guys that stuff is good but the Ultra copper is the best for exhaust

·
Registered
637 Posts
Originally posted by iindy650
[br]I dont have a good seal where my pipes go onto the flanges..
There is no gaskets there..!!! The pipes are held on w/ springs it's metal on metal.. use the silicone to get a proper seal..

You can definatly use the copper stuff if ya want too.. It's more pricey though it will probably last longer too.. But I have my pipes on and off more times then I care to count so I use the cheaper of the two..

·
Registered
363 Posts
my bad,
then rust probally got into it and expanded the pipes apart, take them apart, inspect them, and if there is rust on it, smooth it down using some sort of abrasive pad. The reason springs hold it together is cause it moves, if it didn't move, then it would be bolted together and a gasket between the surfaces. look to see if there is rust there first. If you want to go with the RTV, then smooth the metal down, RTV need the absence of air to seal. Rust is tiny little flakes of metal that air got inbetween and oxidized when water was present.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Post pic of leaking flanges. 2 or more bolt C Flange Bracket works. I been using them on my truck after failing inspections for exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possible solution to flange leak

i have a 650 indy,i dont have a good seal where my pipes go onto the flanges..what type of sealant or ?? can i use to seal them properly? something that wont melt off .thanks for any help
Although its late to provide a solution, flange leaks an old problem is always a new issue. If I had pict of what you had to deal with, I would better understand the issue. I created a basement fix I call a C Flange Bracket that stopped my leaking flanges. Search for videos on how its installed. 17499203_10210311929767520_5623871331094673236_n.jpg 17634468_10210311923087353_4079498474251434439_n.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts