Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/font=Comic Sans MS]Has anyone ever taken a seat cover off a 500 touring sled before. Mine has a rip in it and I would like to have it repaired but gas tank is attached. How do I take cover off[:p]

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I fixed a couple rips in my 500XC this summer, but mine is a 1 up, not a 2, I think it's the same though. A few vynal patches from the back does wonders.
Here's a link to an exploded view of my machine, you didn't say what year and model yours was, but if it's recent, it will be at that site.

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N=1066836365-3919&P=SM-1999-500-XC-SEAT-and-GAS-TANK

At least on mine:
There is a row of staples along the side just on the inner edge, and a cable through the front edge that holds it taught.

Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[/font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks for your help about the seat. Do you have any ideas about vinly repairs

·
Registered
190 Posts
Here is an article I found in past when I was considering this. It cover repairing or making one, but also applies to replacement. I ended up getting a 2-up seat setup for about $60 more than the dealer wanted for the replacement cover.

[^]
http://www.snowridermag.com/feature11.html

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just replaced a seat on a two up you can disconect the gas tank"after emptying it out"
there is two bolts on the back side of your tunnel and disconect the wir running through the front of your seat cover that pulls it tight then the whole seat assembly comes off rip off your old seat cover then apply new one make sure to have a good staple gun and mark on the bottom where to stop staplling so you dont hit your gas tank. if you just do a repair it wont last as long you might as well just get whole new cover but I would not buy stock cuz they are about twice the money I just got one from yahoo for about 50 dollars it only took a half hour to install (might as well put aluminum tunnel on while your down there)

·
Registered
57 Posts
if you want a factory cover for cheaper, try ronnies polaris (type it in a search engine) He has a great selection and good prices. There are also michrofiche exploded views for many years of polaris sleds, that may help you in removing it. My 95 xlt has a wire loop that holds the front and two bolts in the tunnel. once the seat is off you can seperate the tank and seat foam. This is also a good time to install an electric gas gauge. I got mine for $20 on ebay and i love it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts