Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

The seat on my 96 is just about shot, so I figured I'd take this as an opprotunity to get a BOSS seat for it. The only problem is that they don't make any for this chassis anymore. However they do make them for 01 Mountain Cats.

So could an 01 gas tank fit cleanly into my chassis? Or would I have to modify mine in some way to get this to work?

This is all brainstorming.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I take it your getting the seat for a steal. Why not buy a newer gas tank as well. I'm sure you could get one from a local sled salvage yard for decently cheap.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I'm not getting the seat for a steal, retail unless I can find another one. Right now I just want tknow if it is possible without huge gaps between the two tanks or if I could make the seat work on my current tank.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Why not just recover your existing seat?
It's not very hard to do yourself, and a lot cheaper than buying a whole new seat and tank combo.
This is a link to the place I got the cover for My EXT, it only took Me about an hour to recover it.
All you need to do this job is a pliers, and a staple gun.

https://www.sledseats.com/catalog_list_view.php?cat=3

I'm sure He's got a cover that will fit your seat, and his price's are very reasonable.
You can also select the color pattern you want.
He's also a member over on ArcticChat.

My seat before, and after.

20094516596325_13437.jpg 201011715491963_13437.jpg

I recommend wrapping the foam in plastic when you recover it, to help keep it from soaking up moisture.

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
ClassicCat76 said:
Actually I'm not getting the seat for a steal, retail unless I can find another one. Right now I just want tknow if it is possible without huge gaps between the two tanks or if I could make the seat work on my current tank.
If you're planning on upgrading the seat to get a plusher ride, save your money so you can get a newer sled. Why do you want to buy a seat that's worth more than your sled?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^I plan on doing alot of mods to this sled like AGLT so it will be just about as good as a new sled.

I guess I figured that aslong as I had a rotten seat cover, why not get a lightweight one?
Yes, in the end I'll probably just end up recovering this one, but I want to know if it is possible and search my options.

This is probably a stupid question, but has anyone tried to make thier own seat? So they could have the size and shape they want? Just curious.

Thanks for the replys guys I do appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but has anyone tried to make thier own seat? So they could have the size and shape they want? Just curious.

[/quote]

i was thinking the same thing

·
Registered
863 Posts
ethan.justinger said:
i was thinking the same thing
[/quote]
maybe a freestyle seat, but it wont the the most comfy seat out there. i have seen a few sleds with what looks like to be a home made freestyle seat.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
ClassicCat76 said:
^^I plan on doing alot of mods to this sled like AGLT so it will be just about as good as a new sled.

I guess I figured that aslong as I had a rotten seat cover, why not get a lightweight one?
Yes, in the end I'll probably just end up recovering this one, but I want to know if it is possible and search my options.

Thanks for the replys guys I do appreciate all the help.
Easiest way to do this is to start from your stock seat. Peel off the cover, clue some high density foam (roughly cut to fit) to the top of your stock seat. Once the glue sets start shaping the seat to how you'd like it, then you just have to find a local source for getting the seat recovered. Some places will have the material you need, otherwise you can order the seat cover material online in large sheets.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^Ok thanks. I guess the big deal for me, is I would like the seat shorter if I could and lighter. I don't know if it's possible to do but It's just my concept of what I want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts