Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geez, it has been a long summer. We finally got some snow around here. Here is the webcam at the local snowmobile and ski area.
www.showdownmontana.com
We got 4" on friday. Another 18" or so and we can get some riding done.

D

·
Registered
322 Posts
I hate you. September and snow already? That never happens around here, and probly most of the people on the forum are usally begging for snow too. That's cool though...maybe it won't melt? Who knows?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
What is the elevation of the resort?
We have been getting dusted at the 3500-4000' level here but nothing significant yet. Temps tomorrow call for 34 for a low 48 for a high so its not far off. Probably won't be able to ride until at the earliest the end of Octoter to the middle of November. But I plan to have Thunder ready to go I am ready to turn the beast loose. Probably be doin clutch tuning for the first couple of rides anyway.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
You are lucky..according to the old Almanic we could see a flurry at the end of the month but otherwise I have to wait till Nov/Dec befor we get any thing that accumalates..

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i hate you also....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really enough snow to worry about. I have only been out before Thanksgiving once or twice in 20 years here. It doesn't get good until Dec. or Jan.
It did a great job of killing the forest fires tho. Boy our fire fighters had a time of it this summer.
I think the ski area is about 7000 feet. We ride on the back side of the area. It is nice to look at the web cam before leaving the house to see what is in store for the day.

D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ripperd,
6" is not really ridable out here. The rocks and stumps are at least 12" tall. I ride in two different parts of Montana. In one place it takes at least 3 feet of base before we can even attempt to ride it and the other place it takes about 12 inches before you can get on the trail but you cannot get off trail until about 2 feet of base. None of it gets REALLY good until about March when we have about a 3-5 foot base and then get some really good snow dumps on top of it.
Hoping for a good winter.

D

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
if our base is 6 inches were lucky it seems like, i know all it takes is an inch of snow for me to go for a rip across the yard....then about 3 inches of snow and some wind will put enough in the ditches for me

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Originally posted by arctic-cat-guy
[br] i know all it takes is an inch of snow for me to go for a rip across the yard....then about 3 inches of snow and some wind will put enough in the ditches for me
yeh,last yr when we didnt get no snow I was tempted to take my sled out when we got a heavy frost on the grass..lol..thats pretty sad..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought it snowed alot in MN? My sister lived there for a year and said it got colder than crap and tons of snow.

D

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
It ususally does. Just lately we have had up and down temps. Some days it is record breaking lows, then the next week it is record breaking highs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I saw snow when me and my cousin were driving over teton pass...I almost wet myself.

I was so happy to see that stuff up close again.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn, the 4" of snow we had melted. I guess I will just have to wait for the 3rd snow of the season.

D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow - must be nice to live in the mountains and already be seeing snow. I live in Toronto Ontario and ride all over Northern Ontario - when we get snow we get it prety good but nothing major till mid December. Every year over the Xmas holidays we load up and drive 13 hours north to Kapuskasing - it's really the only place where the trails are classfied as open and the groomers are out.By mid December there is usally a 2ft base. I don't like messing around on the first ride with bare patches and all that. If you're gona do it - do it right!!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tim,
We now have our third snow. Going to the sun hi-way has been closed for the last two days in a row because of snow and ice. They plowed it off and sanded yesterday and it snowed on it some more last night and closed it again. I am getting all excited for winter.

D

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by D Noel
[br]Tim,
We now have our third snow. Going to the sun hi-way has been closed for the last two days in a row because of snow and ice. They plowed it off and sanded yesterday and it snowed on it some more last night and closed it again. I am getting all excited for winter.

D
Going to the sun highway. I know it well. I was a jammer at Glacier back in 80. Drove the White Motor Coach bus for Glacier Transportation Co. Sweet summer job. Met my wife there. We had a snowball fight on the 4th of july at Logan pass. Used to go up and sit on the visitor center roof and watch the borealis. Oh, you just killed me with a flood of memories. [8D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts