Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know how to move some spacers on my secondary clutch so the belt has more deflection.
And witch screw on the carbs are the "idle stop screws"?

Any help at all would really make my day [thumb]

·
Registered
844 Posts
need to add shims (#11) to increase deflection

2010224214116664_8117.jpg

Idle screws should be horizontal screws on the side of the
carb. they will be larger than your air screw, and have a spring on them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help.
I will try and split the secondary tonight and add shims.
I thought the bigger screw on the carb was the idle stop screw, when i turn them the idle stays the same. I will try again.
Again, thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you turn the idle screws and nothing happens, there is a chance
that your throttle cable is too tight. It may be holding the slide up
above the idle adjustment screw.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I split my secondary and found three spacers. Is there a limit on how many i can put in?

I loosened one of my throttle cables at the carb and turned it a bit and the idle did drop some, down to about 2100RPM. Did the same to the other one and it did nothing. It ran, but sloppy so i put it back where it was.
I think I am way out of my league when it comes to tuning two carbs to run the same. I will just pay the expert to clean and tune them.
Thanks again for all your info, I just wish I could get it done myself, I hat to pay someone to do something that i know is very simple if you know what you are doing [V]

·
Registered
844 Posts
wildcat650power said:
I hat to pay someone to do something that i know is very simple if you know what you are doing [V]
I know everybody is a little bit cautious with givig out info on the internet, but, if you
had your location listed in your profile info, someone nearby may be able to help you out.

I'm trying to remember from your other post what problems you were having with your clutches?
(this is a good reason to avoid double posting)
Was it a new belt(discontinued) with a new part number?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about the double post, I am new to this kind of thing and posted two of the same problems. good lessen for me.
I am thinking my secondary is from another arctic cat all together. The guy a bought the sled from has allot of snowmobiles on his farm yard and all kinds of makes and years. When i got the sled from him the secondary was just lying on the belly pan where the secondary goes on. When I looked at the sled it was not even there, I asked about it and he said he had it and would supply it if i decided to buy it from him.
The belt is a after market belt. I could go and get one from the arctic cat. but I was told that it would be just as good as there marked($)up ones, They wanted $85.00 for one with there name stamped on it. The one i have is well in the specks my repair manual says it should be.
The problem is when i put the belt on, it is to tight, it has no deflection what so ever. If i open the secondary and let the belt go into it a bit, there is deflection. So when you said to put shims, it made sense. But when there are already three shims in it, is there a limit to how many I can put in? My book only shows two shims, just like the diagram you supplied to me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm going to have to say if you opened up the secondary more than
another .030(thichness of the shims) that you have something else going on.
Shouldn't have to use more than 3 shims.
Possibly the wrong secondary? like you mentioned.
can you measure the diameter of it? I'm not sure what it should be,
but at least we'll know what you have.
Is the belt tight on the shaft of the primary, or tight on the sides?
Trying to determine if the primary is opened up all the way.
Any way you can measure the center to center distance between your clutches?
Again, I'm not sure what it should be, but we will know what you have.
Any chance the old owner has the motor mounted too far forward?
Any chance you could contact him about the secondary?

I've about run out of ideas. check the couple things I mentioned,
and if you don't have any luck, try posting this on ArcticChat.com
There's a few people there who still have 650's and would be
better sources of info than I am. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts