Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got the secondary clutch apart. Now without buying some special set of pliers, how can I get the buttons out?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
wow, ive heard a million ways, some people drill a small hole down them and put a screw in there and pull them out, i usually do that or use an oring pick and pick them out, if the heads are good you might be able to use a little screw driver and pry up a little on each side to work it up.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks madcow. i thought of some of those too, just wanted to get a little reality check talk from others. I think I will try the screw cause the screw driver isn't working for me. Wish i still had that dent puller....

·
Registered
777 Posts
drill, and screw as madcow said,works great

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The drill and screw method rocks. It only took me 2 minutes to get them out that way.

Now, my question is about the new buttons. Should I have to push them in or are they typically just loosely dropped in. I ask because mine just dropped in and are loose. Like if I turn the clutch sheave over they'd just fall out. Is this normal? I have the supper slippery buttons from SLP.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i have always had to tap mine in lightly, they shouldn,t be falling out.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, that's what worked XC Special. Thanks for the replies. I got the clutch back together. Just need to clean the sheaves and work on the primary now. It's 54F and raining. Nice day to play with the sled in the garage.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by Offshore24
[br]The drill and screw method rocks. It only took me 2 minutes to get them out that way.

Now, my question is about the new buttons. Should I have to push them in or are they typically just loosely dropped in. I ask because mine just dropped in and are loose. Like if I turn the clutch sheave over they'd just fall out. Is this normal? I have the supper slippery buttons from SLP.
You didn't hog out the holes with your drill did you. They most definitely shouldn't fall out.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I didn't touch the aluminum. I just keep asking questions when something doesn't seem right. There are enough people out here with experience i haven't got yet, that can tell me what I am looking at and how to get it right the first time.

The buttons needed to be set in place. i used a pine dowel and a light tap with a hammer and they set firmly. It's all good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts