Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Polaris XC 700. On the secondary clutch, there is an adjustment to adjust the width, what does this accomplish The current setting are at 3. What happens if I go either way towards 1 or 5?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just last week I helped 500fasEnuf set his secondary clutch on his 500XC. The belt was not riding on the top of the secondary with the clutch closed. We adjusted until the top of the belt was flush with the top of the pulley. Think about it, it increases the torque to the track on start up, more bottom end acceleration.

Old Cheetah

·
Registered
85 Posts
lift, the settings are for when your belt wears and stretches a little, you can get more life out of it (polaris' way of helping us out a little) and also you need to be sure you have about 1 1/8" of deflection on the belt between the two clutches, with a straightedge across the belt betweent the two clutches...

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by Old Cheetah
[br]Just last week I helped 500fasEnuf set his secondary clutch on his 500XC. The belt was not riding on the top of the secondary with the clutch closed. We adjusted until the top of the belt was flush with the top of the pulley. Think about it, it increases the torque to the track on start up, more bottom end acceleration.

Old Cheetah
After I took it out, it seemed to be adjusted too high, the belt stuck up above the sheaves about 1/8th of an inch.
When I lifted the track it would rotate, but it didn't seem to damage or burn the belt at all.
Clutch engagement was like right now, really good response out of the hole.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I like to adjust mine so that the primary doesn't try to pull the machine @ idle. Other than that, the tighter the better I say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts