Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last weekend i experienced a bad bogg coming out of corners hard, since i cleaned the secondary clutch and thought it was better..till this weekend, it was warm (in the 50's) but very similar symptoms.
i took the clutch apart again and determined that i hadn't cleaned the gunk off the bushings (brass rings?) so, i sanded them off lightly....put the spring in the 4th hole..gonna try that.
My question is this....how do i tell whether i have an 85 or a 90 secondary clutch? i want to order a rebuild kit but not sure i know which is which? when i put it back together, i realized that there is a little play between the helix center and the shaft bushing....the outer one felt a little sloppy also.
thanks for any help!
dave

·
Registered
277 Posts
The only Polaris sleds with a P-90 secondary were the 340's and 440 fans. The P-85 clutches have the standard helix with 4 holes in the helix and one hole in the sheave. Just about every Polaris has the P-85. The P-90's have 2 holes in the helix and 2 holes in the sheave. I also belive the shaft is splined on the P-90 where the P-85 has a key.

·
Registered
749 Posts
sounds fishy to me. your sled shouldn't have a bog if its in the third hole. Have you changed the cam. It just makes it worse if you get it to tight. what is your sled?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's a 96 xlt special......the engine is fresh, carbs are a-ok......the belt is a little worn but, this sled seems to be hard on belts anyway (3rd one already) the primary engages at around 4,800-5,000. i have slp pipes, a white spring in the primary, a yellow in the secondary..i believe it is in the clutching....runs fine as long as you can keep the rpm's up.
what color should the stock secondary spring be?
thanks, dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
what color should the stock secondary spring be?
I believe secondary is RED. Primary is GOLD.

I remember a post by TFIN a while back said he changed the primary to white and the secondary to yellow. Said it made a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info...i've had my carbs apart 5 times, put in all new jets, mains and pilots...i honestly don't think that's the problem but, who knows?? lol
could the carbs just be old? corrosion inside the needle jet?
seems odd that it just started this problem...
how do you know if your mag side seal is bad? would this be more prominent on a warm day?
thanks again, dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not sure, seeking answers to weather the stock spring is yellow or not? i would assume that the helix is probably stock, so maybe the spring is also.
think i'll order a new one from slp. the one they recomend (helix and spring)
thanks, dave

·
Registered
749 Posts
no prob. Oh and you might want to check your primary. cause thats what mine turned out to be. if it's an old sled then the weights are probobly worn out. (mine were). I would check them if i were you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
going to go through the primary next, only problem is unless we get some more snow, i won't be able to try her till next season!! lol
thanks, dave

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
could be the jetting, if you need to keep on the throttle, and it is 50 degrees out, you might just be loading up when you slow down into a corner, then you hammer it coming out of the corner, she has to burn the extra fuel out before it can rev up nice. sounds like every thing else is ok, are the wide open rpms where they should be, with pipes you should spin at the 8500-8700, if i remember right.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup, rpm's are right up there eventually, i don't think it's jetting though, have been through all them (all new) set to slp specs...i know the belt was warn so i did pick up another belt..it's been kind of screwey all winter...i'll just have to order a new one for next year!! only thing is i hate to sell it without seeing how it works out...

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if it takes several seconds to get the rpms up there than it could be a sagged spring in the secondary. or primary spring is sagged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts