Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my indy 400 i noticed my secondary has a bunch of shims behind it .right now the clutch is solid no back and forth movement what so ever .i heard you should have some is this true ,and how much clearance .its been like that since iv had it am i loosing some performance cause off this.one other question i have windage plates on my clutch but there rattley can i take these off what are they there for i heard your clutches can heat up more with them on. can someone let me know on these topics thank you.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The clutch should have a bit of free play, it helps to self-align the primary and the secondary, and it keeps the side forces off the jackshaft bearing. I would shim it for about 1/8" or so.

The windage plate is to give you more hp.. when the clutch turns, the fins on the back of the clutch will act as a fan without the plate. Fans cost energy; the faster you turn the clutch, the more energy is taken away to drive the clutch. The plate is to keep the fan action of the clutch to a minimum, thus transferring more power to the track.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts