Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2002 700 xc,i put a epi kit in this year.I am trying to loosen the spring by one hole. The problem is that i have removed the snap ring and the helix seems to be binding up , and won't come apart. The sled was running good.Any clue on what's up. Lots of snow here all trails are open.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Under the snap ring is a paper thin washer that can get caught between the helix and the groove the snap ring sits in. It is hard to see if you don't know it is there. The spring will push tension on the helix and wedge this washer.

You need to lay the clutch down and push on the helix to release the washer caught in the groove. Have a friend fish the washer out. The diameter of the washer is just large enough to fit over the shaft. Slowly let the helix release the itself and turn it counterclockwise (I think)to remove, be careful. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the snap ring & washer are not in the way.I've taken many apart,but I don't know what's up here? Help!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you might have a bur on the shaft were the snap ring was, that might catch inside the helix. if it feels like the helix wants to come off but the spring is holding it on i have had this also, you just have to pull and it should come apart,

·
Registered
608 Posts
What happens very often is that the shaft oxidizes and the helix freezes on. Try twisting the clutch sheeves and tapping the helix down with a dead blow hammer. Then spray some lube on the shaft and release the sheeves. The spring pressure should push the helix off. You may need to do this more than once. What ever you do don't pry on anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by zackattack
[br]What happens very often is that the shaft oxidizes and the helix freezes on. Try twisting the clutch sheeves and tapping the helix down with a dead blow hammer. Then spray some lube on the shaft and release the sheeves. The spring pressure should push the helix off. You may need to do this more than once. What ever you do don't pry on anything.
that was it :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts