Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to take apart my secondary clutch to clean and inspect it. One problem that I'm having is that the retaining ring plyers I have aren't working. I need to get a bigger pair and am having a hard time finding some with .115 pins. I might be able to get a pair from Snap-on, but Canadian Tire doesn't have anything but the small ones, as well as another local tool store.

The other problem I'm having is what system do other people use to clamp the helix to take the pressure off of the retaining ring? I'm sure this will also be important when I try to re-assemble the clutch. I've got some ideas for making something but I'd like to hear from someone with a system that works!

Help!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I just took apart a ski-doo secondary last week, and i just used a regular snap ring pliers, it worked just fine. You could buy a clutch compressing tool, places like www.denniskirk.com have them. Or, if you're like me, i just use my hands and push like mad on it until i can get clearance to remove or install the snap ring. Make sure you rotate the helix about 1/3 turn to the right just enough so that the towers clear when installing it again. Here's what your's should look like...
http://216.37.204.202/Skidoo_OEM/Skidoo.asp?Type=13&A=299&B=23

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do what I did. Look closely at the picture of the correct clucth compressor and then make yourself one. It just takes some threaded rod, a washer and nut and piece of flat steel bent in a U. It 's much easier on the hands and you can do it alone.

·
Registered
837 Posts
can you take a picture of it so we can see how you did it, i maid one for my primary, and i will post a pic of it as soon as my digital camera gets back on monday

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm unable to post a picture, but you can find them in the service manuals and snowmobile parts catalogues. That's where I copied mine from.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I went to the Dennis Kirk page and looked at the pictures, similar to what I had in mind except I think I'll use a hydraulic press we have instead of the threaded rod. I'll get some 3" pipe and mill out an access opening and get a bar welded across the top for the press to engage on.

I can't get enough torque out of my snap ring plyers, but I talked to the Snap On dealer today and he is ordering me a larger pair on Monday. Wish me luck!

Jacqui.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Good luck!

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
best of luck!!

Bobby
My wife said its Her or the sleds........ I'm sure gonna miss her

Stop Inbreeding....... Ban country Music

·
Registered
21 Posts
i changed a helix in my vmax 600 last winter and to get that snap ring on i made a compressor that i seen in a page of the royal distributing catelog. just get that book (you or one of your friends may have it ) and its in there i looked that that and made one almost identical and it works great!

Jason Everill

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I stopped at the Building Box on my way home from work yesterday and bought some black pvc piping parts to try. I have a 3" dia. pipe that is threaded (internally) at one end, a threaded plug to close off the top to give me something to press on and another pipe that fits snuggly on the outside of the first pipe. I'll cut this to overlap by about 1/8" or 3/16". This will hopefully prevent the pipe from slipping off of the helix under pressure. I might try cutting the access hole in the plug on top in order to keep the strength in the sides.

I think the pvc will be strong enough to use for this. If it doesn't work I'm only out Cdn$7. I won't be able to try it out until at least next weekend though because my sled just got towed back to where I store it to make room for the next one to be worked on. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is that I just tried my new pvc clutch tool and it worked beautifully! $7 very well spent.

The bad news is that I was so excited about the tool working that I forgot to notice which hole the spring was in before I took it apart! lol

I think it was either number 2 or 5; the sled is stock and this is the first time the clutch has been taken apart. Does anyone know which hole it goes in?

Jacqui.

·
Registered
777 Posts
stock setting is usually in the 3rd hole,.need a little more max rpm tighten up 1 hole at a time.if its the original spring it will be a little sacked out

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Xc; I'll give that a try.

Jacqui.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts