Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lack of snow has caused me to do some more cleaning to my machine than planned this year. I had the secondary clutch apart today to check to see what spring it had and check wear. It has a Gold (I think stock for a indy 500 is red) what difference would this make. It seems to shift out alright and backshifts OK.? It still has gold primary (for now) and 10M weights.
Also it seemed greasy and messy in there. I would assume the mechanics of this assembly should be a dry environment similar to primary clutch. Should the secondary be lubbed, or greased or should it go together clean and basically dry?

·
Registered
129 Posts
yes it should be clean...i thinnk yu would have better luck with the blue spring....clean her up and check the helix for wear...like scratches from metal to metal contact ...while yure in there change the three bottons ..easy to do and only cost 99 cents each the entire assembly should be clean and dry...gold in yure primary is fine unless yu want to raise the engagement rpms..but i use the gold in my xlt and it hooks up about 4200 rpms which is fine for trail rides...but if yu want to launch a little harder yu can change it..personally i like the 4200 engagemant along with the blue spring in the secondary.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Doesn't graphite work to.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No, do not use graphite on your clutch parts! The graphite does not like alot of heat, which the clutches put out due to belt slipage, and the graphite turns hard. It will do just the opposite of what you want. It will cause sticking instead of lubrication. Just clean the shaft on the secondary and dont lubricate it at all. When you put the helix back on, grease the inner sleeve on the helix and thats it. The grease on the shaft will attract belt dust and gum up. The bushing on the movable sheave does not need lube. By the way, the older Indy 500's came with a red secondary spring where the later ones from 97 or 98 on came with the gold secondary spring.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
MAYDAZE don't you put graphite on the outside of the helix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts