Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body know what to do when it comes to tuning clutches correctly. What hole should the spring set in, And how do know if you are putting it back together right. My secondary on my polaris 600 dosn't seem to be opening up all the way. And the belt just barely sit above the sheaves. The engine redlines at [email protected] mph. And bogs on low end. Seems to be a secondary problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
don't know much about the polaris, but I can give some general advice after some questions...first, is the sled new or old? Was it stored for any long period of time? Have you lubed the clutches lately? Are you sure it's the right belt? What type of clutches are they, as in part #? Are they original? Try taking the secondary sheave and manually opening it by grabbing the inboard side (belt removed) and move it as if the sled would be going in reverse. After it gets to the stop, push the inboard side as open as you can. It'll progressively have more resistance as you move it. Does it open all the way? Is there any binding or scraping felt? You can pry at it but BE SURE NOT to create any scuffs or other damage on the sheave surface otherwise you'll trash a belt a day. If it hits a certain point and stops not fully open than you have something (awaiting clutch details) broken in the mechanism. A Clymers guide or possibly the owners' manual will give you max sheave open (and closed) tolerances. You'll probably need an assistant for all that, but hopefully it'll at least troubleshoot the problem either to the secondary or eliminate it from further inspection...let us know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The setup of your secondary will determine the amount of acceleration, back-shift etc. and this is all realative to your spring loading. You must know the amount of ft/lbs. load that must be on your spring for it to work properly. If it is not opening all the way, most likely it is that your helix is dirty and needs to be cleaned as it may be sticking at that one spot. If you do not know how to take apart, clean and re-build it, I would recommend getting someone else to do it while you observe, that way you can do it yourself later. I always find that it is best to buy the manual from the dealer fpr the sled. If it is a Polaris that is 2000 or newer, you can download it free from their website.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
to test if it opened up all the way you need to mark lines in the primary and secondary with a marker. then hold er open on a nice tested lake top or on a warm up stand for up to 20seconds on the lake. look at the lines to see how far the belt went in.
if you move the spring to a higher number whole you will raise your rpm. i would inspect the buttons and helix, look close at the wieghts and rollers in the primary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts