Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 F3 700. My secondary clutch doesnt move at all on the jackshaft. All the other sleds I've looked at the secondary moves at least a little. On mine there is a huge spacer on there which is about 1/2 an inch, then there is one shim. Even if I pull the spacer and shim out the bolt will tighten the secondary right down so it does'nt move. On my old 91 MX the bolt will bottom out before it will tighten down the secondary thus allowing the sencondary to move slightly. Any ideas about this? It also has reverse on it if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Travis

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Dont know if this will help ya... but on Polaris sleds the back spacers are there to give the correct offset to the clutchs and the the freeplay is obtained with a few smaller than the diameter of the shaft washers on the end of the shaft under the bolt.

Go get a new sled for your spouse.....It will be a fair trade :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
For Polaris the spacing tolerance is between .5mm and 1.0 mm. I don't have a thou conversion chart for you though. Sound like that huge spacer is a little too large. I'd check with your local dealership/service though.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I guess I'll call the dealer tommorrow and see what they have to say about it. Thanks For the input guys.

Travis

·
Registered
777 Posts
not sure i follow you ,you have a 1/2 in spacer,should be same size as shaft,and shims same size as shaft,you want to add shims to get your clutch to float on shaft.I Think ?,if where talking the same thing

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh, there is a huge like 1/2 spacer on the shaft on the bearing side, then a shim in between that and the secondary. What I,m wondering is if my secondary should float at all, because even when I pull the spacer and shim out the bolt will tighten the clutch right down so it doesn't float. On my other sled the bolt that holds the secondary on will bottom out before it tightens the secondary down, thus allowing it to float somewhat. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think I understand. The 1/2" spacer and a shim washer are on the shaft first these set the clutch offset . Then the secondary. then a bolt to hold it all on and the bolt is holding the secondary tight. If this is true,your bolt needs shimed to be close but not binding the secondary. Add a few washers that are smaller diameter than the shaft till you have enough to hold the secondary in a slightly floating manner,like Hotrod said and use the tolerance that B-man said. Good luck

You can Fly with EFI
Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

1 - 8 of 8 Posts