Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some riding in this weekend. However when the sled was cold (650) the secondary clutch kept sticking open. I had to stop and twist it shut again. Sled has about 4500 miles and they have never been touched.

Any suggestions?

CD

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hey Indy I would also put a blue spring in the secondary. If you can get the secondary apart. That may be the hard part if you can get it off the jack shaft. Good luck Riley

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i am going to say your buttons are shot and so is the helix. you probably are going to see that the helix has been rubbing on the alumunum but you might not need a new rear clutch.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I agree with the above. Something is binding or the spring is broken or out of the hole. New bushings, buttons and spring should do the trick. A few special tools really help get the bushings in properly. Lets hope the towers that hold the buttons are not worn too badly. You might need a helix as Madcow says. EPI has a triangle that I used to use on my 650's. It requires a litle more spring but works quite well.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
No. You need to take it off the jack shaft in order to service it, and no, the secondary isn't difficult to service either. Just ask if you've got any questions.

·
Registered
277 Posts
4500 miles and never been apart?!! Can you say sludge, gummed up, worn parts, etc... You have to maintain your clutches and keep them as clean as possible. I take mine apart and clean and check them several times a year, especially if I'm up to the lake playing. Its not that hard to do. A 1/2 wrench takes off the bolt holding it to the jackshaft, a good set of snap-ring pliers will take off the c-clip, push down on the helix and remove the c-clip, on yours 'beat the snot out of the helix to make it go down from being stuck to the shaft for eternity', remove the helix and spring and service. Check what hole the spring was is in, 2 or 3. While its apart check into a clutch kit and make it perform like a new sled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts