Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where the F do I get these Secondary Sheave "shimms" to adjust drive belt tension?? I've looked everywhere online and can't find them....and because of all the snow in Denver my local shop is closed till atleast WED (makes a lotta sense huh?) and I don't even know if they stock them.....and I HAVE to sled this weekend.....

[:(!]

·
Registered
661 Posts
I may be mistaken, but the shim's don't adjust tension, they adjust alignment of the clutches. Adjusting the motor mounts are what you do to adjust tension. I may be wrong, but that is what am led to believe.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You are wrong,,, well some of it. By spreading the sheaves you adjust the deflection on the belt. This in return adjust tension. You can get steel washers from a local parts, DIY or hardware store. In a bind some added o-rings. If you can not find anything then use what you have and wrap aluminum foil around it. You should have at least one washer now?? Also SLP, EPI, Goodwin, Carl's Cycle, D&D...... will all have some or something you can use.

·
Registered
464 Posts
There should be enough deflection shims in the secondary from the factory unless you have removed one and disgarded it.
Normally one .062 shim should be removed with a new belt, once the belt breaks in you usually have to add it back to maintain good deflection. I always carry that shim with the sled when riding so I can add when needed.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I appologize. I was thinking of the washers behind the secondary, not sheaves. My bad [:(]

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the older cats and poo used shims instead of fancy adjusters to change belt tension.

in a pinch just find some 1 inche washers or bushings from a hardware store.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I just bought these sleds. The previous owner just took them to the dealer for any maint. so I have no parts......

I too was thinking I might be able to find a washer locally, but the shimms are fairly specialized.... it has to fit over a 1" dia shaft and the max outter dia. can only be about 2".... I'll check it out.

I found a set of shims online for a polaris ATV secondary....at $1.50/set even if they're wrong it won't hurt my pocket book.

I figure once I get a few sets of shimms I should be good for both sleds.

Anyone know what year secondarys are swapable? It looks like the newer 'cam' adjustable secondary's have a key'd shaft instead of a spline shaft like my 95.

Say it ain't so??

[?]

·
Registered
430 Posts
Any keyed shaft Polaris are the same with an exception of the key. Some keys were larger (deeper) but I believe it was only on the shaft side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts