Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am rebuilding secondary and was told that a 48-34 helix and a silver blue polaris spring will work good. can anyone tell me the specs on the polaris spring and what it would match to an EPI spring.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
43/75 for the polaris, epi purple would be the closes at 50/75 or yellow 46/71.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot for the help i might just go to a polaris dealer and buy a polaris or might just get an EPI

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Either are good options but I beleive that the epi's sack out(lose their tension) faster than the polaris springs.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Either are good options but I beleive that the epi's sack out(lose their tension) faster than the polaris springs.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks maybe i will just locate a dealer. i was told a 48-34 helix and a silver blue polaris spring would work good on an indy 400 whats your opinion?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I never played with the clutching with my 400's but if madcow says it will work try it. Did you tell him you had a 1.25" track.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
um no i didnt. but its not studded so i should very much differnt than other tracks.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I liked the EPI yellow for compound helix's in 440 thru 600 single piped sleds. The Polaris blue 25/55 or HSP orange 30/70 might be a little more forgiving for the 400. If you use a performance helix it may be cut deeper under snap ring for overdrive applications, if so add two more 30 thou spacers under snap ring if you use stock belt.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how would i know if it is cut deeper?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Most are. If it's an EPI, HSP, SLP or Polaris R series it's cut deeper. The Liberty twins started using wider belts so helix's cut deeper are the norm for newer sleds.

[attachment=59557]
[attachment=59558]

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i see thank you. are they the same shims as the ones between the sheaves?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think they are the same as ones to adjust for belt width. They are the same as the one you have under snap ring now.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i see i guess who ever did took the clutch apart before me was not that good cause there was no shim under the clip. and should i have a shim on the back of my helix after the clip because my problem was that my clutch had to much play and sometimes would move over and grind against the chassis

·
Registered
807 Posts
The clutch floats on jackshaft but uses washers on jackshaft behing clutch for alignment that stop the secondary from moving too far and hitting frame.

[attachment=59664]
[attachment=59665]

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok thanks i know know that it will take more than a helix and spring to get my clutch back
i need to find some more shims.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what book are you getting this stuff from?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts