Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the point of the sensor on the carbs of an 88 phazer? It was disabled when I got it.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Is it anything like Cat to where it won't let you start the machine if the carbs are stuck wide open?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Your probably referring to the TORS, it's the throttle override sensor. It's the safety switch in the event that your crabs stick open. There is also a senor/switch in the thumb throttle. If you finger is off the thumb throttle and the carbs are still open it shuts the sled down. Sometimes there are problems with the switch so people just disconnect it which can be dangerous.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If it is disconnected, it will be in a loop. It is the TORS like Canuck Said. It is best to have it working to prevent a stuck throttle. To test it, is hard to explain. I'll try my best, I can draw a pic later if needed. Anyways, on the throtle lever, you can see before you start pulling the cables, there should be a little play, and the lever will slide over to take up this slack, which is the handlebar sensor. Hold it back so it cannot take up this slack. Put the parking break on and Push the throttle slowly up to about 4500 to 5000 rpm I believe, and if the phazers have the light on the gauges, you will see the TORS light flash. If so it works. But if there isn't any light, the sled should rev up to about 5000 rpm, but it will not rev any higher. If this doesn't work, and it doesn't flash or continues to idle higher then the sensor doesn't work. So you can either leave it unplugged and have the chance of a stuck throttle ( not a huge deal, but not safe either) or you can get another sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.