Snowmobile Fanatics banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Has a location been finalized? I'm going to make this a sticky topic next to the other one.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
not yet we're waiting for some more suggestions, but its most likely cobleskill NY right now either the 7-8th or 28-29th of january

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
we didn't get much snow here until around the 28th last year. i am looking forward to this trip. so lets def make it happen. i need to know in a couple of weeks so i can plan to get the time off from work and see about my brother comming.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
On the 7th-8th the snow may be good, or we might not have any. Same thing with the 28th-29th. If this year is anything like last year we may not be able to make the call until a few days for its planned. But, Im fine with either weekend.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just a suggestion...I live outside Buffalo NY and living close to the lakes like this is almost a guarantee for snow from late December on...with the areas I ride in usually around 200 inches for the season. This web site http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/buf/lakeffect/snowseason.html shows where the traditional heavy snows are so that we can plan a trip in a place that is a high probability of snow...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
personally it's over a 5 1/2 hour drive towards buffalo to me and i'd much rather go to tug hill in that situation, but if we go to cobleskill, we get the best of both worlds. we'll be able to ride off and on trail. the forecast looks like the majority of the NE will be rideable for most of the season. SO PUT YOUR VOTE IN 7TH-8TH OR 28TH-29TH OF JANUARY IN COBLESKILL AREA (12035), TOWARDS BUFFALO AREA, OR TUG HILL AREA

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
does tug hill require trail passes? I wouldnt object to a ride up that way but looking at that LES map, either the southerntier of WNY or Oswego area looks like the best bet

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Im not objecting to going to buffalo area, or tug hill, or my place. The only problem with my place is hit and miss snow conditions. Its either great, or its snirt.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
tug hill does not require trail passes and is usually dumped on with snow from the lake. the hill itself tends to get crowded on weekends and alot of moguls. i do not know the hill trails that well, but i do know the surrounding areas, such as brantingham and stillwater

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
how are the trails around Parish/Oswego....ive been up there camping in Feburary, and yea i understand what you mean Indy440, 5/6 times it was great, nice and cold and lots of snow, but once it was rainy and the snow was melting.

the Oswego is also a little bit more central in the state and they get plenty of snow...and i dont think it gets as crowded as Tug Hill, but then again ive never ridden anywhere other than in Genesee County.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There is also Speculator, NY to ride, They generaly have snow, although... I don't know the trails so we would need a guide.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Originally posted by polarissledneck28
[br]hmm, would it be possible to keep it at cobeskill or tug hill?
^^ yea im wiht him on that.. but the 7-8th would be good were supposed to be getting alot of snow in december, thats what im hearing and its gunna be cold. so it will stick with us..

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Alright. 7th-8th in cobleskill or tug hill sounds good to me. i'd prefer cobleskill because it's closer to me and we can also ride off trail there, but either works. should we decide on a location or wait til a closer time and then decide based on which has better snow??

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am familar with tug hill stillwater old forge Indian lake and speculater, out of all of them tug hill offers the most types of riding. Powder, trails etc. speculater doesn't have the greatest trail system. most of them are real tight and not groomed the greatest.I ride out of old forge all winter and usually run 2000 miles per season. Tug Hill is the place to cover alot of ground in a few days.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't want to go anymore cause according to the map cobleskill is out in California, lol.
[attachment=15596]
If we do decide to ride in Cobleskill we need someone who knows the local trails well, and find a spot where people can park. Might need to start taking a count so we can figure out how many vehicles and trailers we need to find a spot for.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
indy440 lives in cobleskill and knows the area very well. just reply to this if you are willing to come. i'm starting to think that tug hill area may be a better idea since many people seem to be familiar with it, including myself, and because there usually seems to be good amounts of snow

61 - 80 of 104 Posts