Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there seems to be quite a lot of people that around lower michigan. It seems we all want to meet up for a ride. So how bout we get a raise of hands of all the people who would like to meet up in Houghton Lake, MI and ride around in that area. If anyone has an idea of what weekend that would be nice. I can say deffinatly not tip-up town weekend which is January 21 & 22, 2006 ~ January 28 & 29, 2005. That weekend the trails are usually beaten to crap. Maybe the weekend before that? Any questions or suggestions please let me know! If someone else wants to lead this trip, it doesn't matter to me. Houghton Lake is right near all the trails, gaylord, grayling, st.helen...

·
Registered
734 Posts
How far is Houghton Lake from Muskegon? I'm in WI but could take the express ferry across (I think it runs in Winter.?.).

·
Registered
802 Posts
About 140 miles or so. Probably figure at least 2 hrs.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I will be in gaylord on one of three weeks in jan. either the week of MLK. or one of two weeks after.
usually sunday through wednesday trip with a group of guys from home.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'd be up for a ride at Houghton Lake. We'll be riding Chautauqua, NY on MLK weekend but could be available any other weekend. Let me know what you come up with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im in,not sure if snow will show early or heavy enough in january or not,might consider a Feb get together,unless someone can get a long range forcast together, Im from Alpena so houghton lake is just a good ride for me. How a bout with all the planned S/F rides that are trying to be organized we video tape parts of our rides then send the tapes to one of the video guru's and assemble a joint tape of all the different rides so we could check out each groups area and put a face with a name?. What do you all think?? jim.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Depending on snow conditions and everything, I'd be willing. Unless i'm working I'm in that area every weekend in the winter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Ranger Danger, The cross lake ferry to Muskegon does not run in the winter. Its getting ready to close for the season now.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Nope cannot make it. Just sold my primary sled. Mabye next year guys.

·
Registered
821 Posts
i go up to the gaylord area or traverse city a couple times a year....i could easily change it to houghton lake and partake in the activities....i won't commit to anything right now but if the date works out i would be game.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i'm all for it, preferably a lil before the tip-up town crowd destroys the trails and over-runs the city :)

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I'm off work from jan 13 - 27 any time in there and i should be able to make it

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Sounds like a good time. All depends on the date and the snow conditions

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
any thoughts on when would be a good week for this ride?
what are some decent places to stay in that area?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
www.americanoakresort.com

I've never stayed there, but he has his own website that he maintains with trail conditions and everything. He seems to be a great guy and genuinely cares about snowmobiliers. His trail reports are always accurate! Not sure what his rates are, but I believe you can find info on his website. Other than that, there are many other little resorts scattered around the lake, and about 4 hotels around the lake as well, with 2 of them being right on the water.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah if ya want more info. on Art and his resort I can go talk to him for ya. And I can get some hotel names and rates, there is a best western and a comfort suites. They are prob. the 2 nicest hotels in the area. Comfort suites has an indoor waterpark, I dont know who would rather be swimming that riding but maybe its good if ya have kids, I dont nkow talk to me if ya wanna.

If we wanna get this going, we need some more input.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, at this point with this much effort this isnt gonna happen. Can we have alittle more participation. Some suggestions on dates, meeting places...We got enough people now we just need some participation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts