Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

hey im looking to maybe take my sander out and sanding down all the rust off my exhaust but my father thinks i will end up going right through the metal. I bought this sled polaris touring 600 last year and it didnt look like anyone before me tried to make the motor look nice so theres a good amoutn of rust there so i am nervous about starting to sand it off with what my father is saying so im just seeing if anyone has advice whether to do it or not or if anyone has done it before to a exhaust with a good amoutn of rust on it and been succesfull

thx guys

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if someone wants to move this to the polaris section you can just figured i would get everyones opinion whether they have polaris or not

·
Registered
814 Posts
You don't have to worry about sanding through the metal of your pipe- unless you're going at it with an angle-grinder! The metal is plenty thick for sanding- people get them sand-blasted and re-paint 'em all the time. Depending on the amount of rust it can be a pretty big project to sand it by hand.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
sanding by hand sucks i had 3 little spots on my pipe this summer made the whole pipe shine before i was done. but you shouldnt go through the pipe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i wouldnt think i would go through the pipe but it was throwin up sparks so i wanted some other opinions, i might just dull down the new sanding disc a tiny bit to be safe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres a pic of what ive done so far which is the top of the heat restrictor or watever
[attachment=56111]

and heres a couple hideous rusty pics that i really dont se how i can get every lil spot without taking everything apart which i dont want to have to do

[attachment=56112]

[attachment=56113]

[attachment=56114]

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Originally posted by CantWaitToRide
[br]i did take it off i just set it back on there for the pic and yea im painting it
cool, I bet some silver would look good on the heat shield with flat black on the pipe.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
just polsih the heat sheild, painting it is kinda french. a black pipe with the heatsheild polished looks real good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ill do that right now i just got done waxing the hood, baby oiling the seat, cleanin the carb all that good stuff and we prolly are going to end up with liek just enough to ride around the yard i hear now which sucks

·
Registered
14 Posts
i just got through doing mine and i used a 3" wire brush cup on a drill and it was fast.. i was going to leave it polished but there were some spots where the rust wouldnt come off so i cleaned it all up and sprayed it high temp 1200 degree silver..[attachment=57643]

Attachments

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
You'll be fine.

[galleryattach=9852]

·
Registered
15 Posts
I sanded mine this summer, i guess i must have left some rust because before winter it looked like before i started.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Did you sand your aluminum cover or is that just me?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts