Snowmobile Fanatics banner

shock problems

824 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SortaStock 
#1 ·
i took the shock out of my 98 zr 600 the other day and i can push it in and it goes in kinda hard but is it suppose to come out on its or not? the dealer said it should pop out kinda slowly but my dad kinda seems like its not suppose to cause thats what the springs are for on the suspension. i think it suppose to pop out. if anyone could help let me know. and if anyone knows a website or anywhere to get fox shocks for cheap or something equivelent please let me know thanks.

#2 ·
You're both correct. It's supposed to pop back out. Your Dad is right too. The springs are there to push the sled backup. The shocks are there to dampen the reaction of the sled to sudden inputs. Your shock is toast.

#4 ·
Originally posted by jdzaharia
[br]A hydraulic shock will not push out on its own.
Agreed buy since he says its fox, odds are its gas and its blown. Have it rebuilt.

#5 ·
I read it as he wanted to replace his current shocks with Fox. Because if he already had Fox, he wouldn't need to buy new ones, just have them rebuilt. I do not know what type of shocks a ZR comes with, though. Probably not hydraulic, I guess.

#6 ·
the shocks on it says FX and they are gold. i dont think they are a type of fox shock but i could be wrong. but i highly doubt that they are fox. i just dont want to buy a good shock thats alot of money and i know fox are but if anyone knows of another good brand im open for suggestions. thanks

#8 ·
thats probably what they are. idk i bought the sled 2 years ago and the shock was shot then and i dont know how they were in the first place so thats why i was thinking of going to a fox cause i know they are good. but they are expensive. so i dont know. i called the arctic cat dealer and if the Gabriel Ryde FX are the stock ones then they said they wanted 260. so i dont know what to do

#9 ·
well if it has what looks like a tire valve on it and the top where the shaft comes out apears to have a cap that could screw off then its rebuildable and is probably your cheapest option to have it rebuilt. Otherwise Fox and Ryde FX are ok shocks. Hydrolics are cheap but dont work as good. I wouldnt buy anything made by kimpex.

#11 ·
For $260 that better be a rebuildable shock. Most hydraulic shock seem to be in the 120-150 dollar range it seems. Snap a pic and email it to me or post it here. I'll be able to tell you if it's gas or hydraulic. Either way, the shock should rebound on it's own.

I guess I don't know a whole lot about older AC's like that, but usually the ZR's came with a decent shock.

If it's gas, just rebuild it. A lot of times it just needs new seals, new gas, and new fluid. I charge $32 to do a complete rebuild on a shock if it's gas.

email me if you've got any other questions, I'd be happy to talk to you about your shock.

kyle@avidsuspensions.com

kyle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.