Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, did a few searches and did not find a conclusive answer.

Have a 99 ZL600 with 2400 miles. Shocks are needing replaced. Currently has Fox Ryde shocks and they appear to be non-rebuildable. That being the case, trying to figure out what would be the best option. Was thinking about finding a set of rebuildable fox shocks and having them gone through by the local Arctic Cat dealer. Curious what models would interchange. Will be replacing both fronts and both rear suspension shocks. Looking for a direct bolt up.

Looks like i can find a decent looking pair of front Fox shocks from a 99 ZR600 for around $100. After rebuilding at the shop, will still have less than $200 in the pair and better than a stock replacement. Am i thinking wrong?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well, here is a good question for you. If you are a heavier guy and notice your shocks going out, or getting "dead spots" you could need to look into some heavier duty torsion springs. you can get them from a 2up sled but they will fit your sled. I have them on mine and i put them on because i am heavier and the shock was doing all the work which made it get dead spots or overheat so to speak. i would ask your local dealer about your torsion springs, or to look at them for wear, they are normally good for 2-3000 miles but it might be time to replace those as well, those run about 45$ each for the 2up springs. Hopefully this helps man!

P.S= if you just need a shock, my dad's 2000 ZRT 600 has a ACT shock in the rear, which holds up better then the RydeFX shocks in my opinion. the RydeFX shocks that they put on from factory are junk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zcat600 said:
The ACT rear shock is definately better than the RydeFX. Fox floats should bolt right on in front.
That's good to know about the rear. As far as fronts go, the only difference i can see is length on the ZR is 16.5" and the OEM ZL is 17.0" to account to for slightly wider stance on the ZL. I doubt that 1/2" will make any difference considering that the shocks are already somewhat compressed when the weight of the sled is on the skis.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
This brings up a very interesting point. Will zr rear shocks work on a zl skid? Zr act shocks are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
jburke said:
Zcat600 said:
The ACT rear shock is definately better than the RydeFX. Fox floats should bolt right on in front.
That's good to know about the rear. As far as fronts go, the only difference i can see is length on the ZR is 16.5" and the OEM ZL is 17.0" to account to for slightly wider stance on the ZL. I doubt that 1/2" will make any difference considering that the shocks are already somewhat compressed when the weight of the sled is on the skis.
This is the difference only 3/4" can make in a front suspension.
The first pic is with stock length front shock's for this sled.
The second pic is after adding 3/4" longer shock's .
Click on the pic's for full size, and compare the A-Arm angle's.

200882242629342_13437.jpg 2008822174258936_13437.jpg

The Geometries involved in the front suspension, will make a little difference in shock length, become a lot larger than you might think.
If you're going to change front's, go with the stock length, or go up 1/2" to 3/4" longer than stock.
Unless you want your sled to sit lower in the front.

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Festus33 said:
jburke said:
Zcat600 said:
This is the difference only 3/4" can make in a front suspension.
The first pic is with stock length front shock's for this sled.
The second pic is after adding 3/4" longer shock's .
Click on the pic's for full size, and compare the A-Arm angle's.

200882242629342_13437.jpg 2008822174258936_13437.jpg

The Geometries involved in the front suspension, will make a little difference in shock length, become a lot larger than you might think.
If you're going to change front's, go with the stock length, or go up 1/2" to 3/4" longer than stock.
Unless you want your sled to sit lower in the front.

Rick
That's quite a difference! You have me rethinking how i want to go at this. Have an email off to Ian at Monster shocks...or something like that. Can't remember the company name...but it's monster something specializing in suspensions. Asking him about slightly shorter shocks. He had said that he can add spacers inside the shock if they're a little too long to limit the full extended length. Might be an option as well if 1/2" too long. And, no i don't want my sled to aim downhill like in your pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts