Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, have just some general questions about shocks...
1. how do u know if it should be just rebuilt or just recharged
2. on my 97 xcr 440, rear shock with the resivoir, has to be rebuilt totaly an its goin to be like 250$, can i not just get som other shock thats the same an thro on the resivoir? or are they differnt inside?
3. if ur shocks are making like a sound when u can compress them it it time to get them recharged? when u can here the oil inside that is...????

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
1. Rebuild and Recharge are often used interchangeably. If any seals are leaking, replace them, while you are recharging the shock. The seal kit for most Fox shocks costs about $10-12. Maybe more for the external reservoir type.
2. Why does it cost $250 to rebuild a shock? You could probably just get a shock with an internal reservoir, and get rid of the external reservoir, but I would think that would be more expensive than just rebuilding your existing shock.
3. Yes. Some nitrogen has leaked into the oil.

·
Registered
506 Posts
250 is way to much for that shock. I charge far less. Unless there are major problems. You can pm me if you want specifics.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
Send 'SortaStock' here on the forum an email. He does excellent shock service and is a site sponsor to boot!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well it has to be rebuilt, and needs a new shaft, the shaft is like 80 bucks, an its local dealer rebuilding it considering i dont know how or have the tools..

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hell yea try someone else!!! The stealer ship is always way high. For that price you could get a new shock. Look else where!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeh just found out from another guy, he'll do it for around 150, an im goin to get him to fill the other one till so about 180 for both

1 - 9 of 9 Posts