Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at the library yesterday and picked up a Clymer shop manual for Skidoo 85-89. Some of the information is really good and relevant to my '99 sled (like the secondary I just had apart). It walks you through the maintenance.

I just did a search online and could only find the manual for 85-89 and 90-95. Four of our five sleds are Skidoo, 96-99. One of these manuals for those years would come in really handy.

Does anyone know when these books are published? Or would I be better off trying to get a manual from Skidoo that would cover all the sleds? I didn't see anything on the Skidoo web site.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I was in the same boat myself. I was looking for a shop manual for my 97 XLT SP. But the last Clymer manual for Polaris sleds ended with 1995. I ended up having to order a Polaris shop manual (from Polaris through Erlandson Performance) that was for EVERY SINGLE SLED made by Polaris from 1996 through 1998.

It's this huge 5 ring binder thats like 4-5 inches thick and cost me $72. But it gives you the specs on everything. So you may end up having to order something like that from Ski Doo???

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go to your Ski-Doo dealer and pickup the "Ski Doo Race Manual," sorry, I don't have any part numbers, but I can tell you it's about $30 - $35.

Ski Doo publishes this each year, and some of it is just "fluff," but it does have it's good points. Each one also has recommended setups for particular sleds for grass drags, oval, hill climb, etc. There's also a section that includes the race setup for a particular model of sled, for instance the '02 manual contains the setup for the '01 MXZ 440 and '01 MXZ 600. Plus, you've got specs on every model sled Ski Doo made for that year, from stroke and bore, to clutch springs and ramps.

Also, dealers have been known to make photocopies of certain pages in times of need, I can't say yours will, but mine did.

It may not be the shop manual you're looking for, but it should provide you with most of what you're looking for.

'02 MXZx 800 RER

rm -f /bin/laden

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I'm not into racing, just looking for basic maintenance stuff. I've been sitting here reading this manual for 85-89 (my boss isn't looking, is he?
) and I'm amazed at how much stuff seems relevant to our sleds. It won't have my suspension style (s-10 or whatever) but it's got the rave valves, Mikuni's, clutch setup, etc.

I'm thinking that if I were to buy the 90-95 book it would be a good reference material to have around since I can't find one for the later years. The only thing I'm concerned about is that even this older book lists specs for my engine (583), but I don't know if the specs would have changed for the '99 model. Then again, I can always bug my dealer for current specs if I need to. It's just that you probably need this stuff at 10:00 at night when the dealership is closed.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Oh Jacqs, I am sure that you could find a way to convince the guys at your local dealer to photocopy the nessesary pages you need, that your other book doesn't cover.

Like maybe going in smiling real nice and saying "could I look at your shop manual for my machine for a minute", and when they bring it to you plop a 6 of Blue on the counter and say, "I bought this beer and forgot I am alergic to it, could you get rid of this while I borrow your photocopier."

Heh......it's worth a try........

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I like that! Of course, I'd have to have one myself, you know, quality control and all that...

The only problem with that is my "local" dealer is 2 1/2 hours away. I also work most Saturdays, (as well as all week), so it's really hard to get in there. But you're right; if I know I have a job lined up they probably would fax me the info. I was looking at it more from the perspective of a little light bedtime reading!
(I told you it's a sickness!)

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
That might blow your "please take this cause I'm alergic to beer" story....

Sounds like you work alot, when do you get time to ride??

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it's hard to find free time. I'm in skilled trades so I could work steady 7 days if I wanted, but then the kids wonder who that woman is hanging around the house occasionally! I have to work six days in order to afford life's little extras... like sledding...

I usually try to get away on Saturdays after work and head up to my partner's; he lives right on a trail system. We'll get a good ride in Saturday night and another one on Sunday when the weather cooperates. Sometimes we'll trailer to other areas on the Sunday if there's no snow at his place, and we try to do one or two trips north each season.

Back to the original post, I picked up the '90-'95 manual at the Toronto show yesterday after all. No tax, and it does seem like an excellent reference to have on hand.

Jacqui.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts