Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following the numbers of sleds for sale this year on eBay. Last year there was a high of over 200 AC's on eBay at one time. Now, only around 100. Similar numbers for Yami, Doo and Polaris. I thought it would get higher as snowfall increased, but hasn't even going into the beginning of January. Is there higher interest in snowmobiling this year? Better economy so people aren't selling? Better snowfall? People have itchier throttle hand? My local farm implement/Polaris dealer a month ago had an F Cat, 2 200? Polarises, a 2004 Classic 600, and about 5 other used sleds this year. The other week, I drove by and no more used sleds outside on the sidewalk anymore.

Anyone else notice a shortage of sled (new and used) for sale in your area?

·
Registered
509 Posts
They Go real Fast just bought a 2000 Polaris xc sp 700 for 1800 with 5k on it so deals are out there just keep an eye out there was four guys there waiting for me to look at this sled if I didnt buy It was Crazy. Keep an eye on C-list!!

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
The local Polaris, Yamaha, and skidoo dealer had 1 polaris and 1 Yamaha. No used sleds and couldn't get any more new ones...at least that's what they said. I went 160 miles to get the one I bought and apparently had 8 calls on it in the 2 days I had it held...Private sales seem pretty descent on the local online classified site.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Someone wanted to buy my sled really bad. I put $200 deposit down and paid the other 800 while the guy was pushing the seller for 1400. I was surprised that he held the sled for me for a grand. I would think if I put my sled up for sale it would be gone very quick.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
all the nice sleds are over priced, all the deals (which are what they are worth, just below what the rest of them are listed for) sell almost instantly. Leaves all the POS's and wayyy over-priced sleds.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Most dealers you talk to can't get ahold of used sleds. I remember walking into a dealer who had 30 sleds 10 years ago and he told me to pick a color, now he's lucky if he has 2.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
There is this phenomenon involved it this. It is called the "law of supply and demand".

Last year the economy was crap, and the weather was crap.. Noone had the money to go buy a sled, and there wasn't weather to ride it anyway. (lots of supply and no demand = low prices)

This year, the economy is a bit better and the weather is considerably better. Anyone with a buck to spare snapped up a sled to go play. (lots of demand, and now, limited supply = higher prices)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't have any sled dealers in my town. I've been looking out on Craigslist and there are tons of sleds for sale on there. I think there are considerably more than last year. It doesn't seem like a lot are "flying out the door" though. The good deals seem to go pretty quick. I saw a 1980 El Tigre 5000, not running, but great shape, for $140 obo. If I had the money I would've been all over it. It was gone in 24 hours. Vintage sleds like that are kind of ridiculous, that's really the only good deal I've found on one. Everyone thinks if you polish a turd, you get gold.[confused]

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I've been watching the local classified and there aren't nearly as many sled for sale as there use to be.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
All the used dealer sleds are gone and where all gone within a week. Mines been for sale for about 2 weeks though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
we have four used sleds for sale at the shop but they wont last long as they just came in in the past week or two. but anyone else around us doesnt have anything.... there are deals tho ya jus gotta look

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
People that over price their stuff don't sell their stuff. You would think the local Polaris dealer would have realized that by now. They've had an 05' Fusion 900 for sale now for about 3 years. When it went up for sale they wanted something like $6000 for it. Now they're asking $4900 and they said that they're pretty firm at this price.

Amount of sleds are down because people can ride them. When there's no snow, people can't ride, so they become an unusable machine just taking up space. When the economy is better theres less sleds for sale because people have money and dont need to sell. When the economy is bad they're for sale all over the place. Then you get the people who claim they "need to sell", but price their sleds thousands of dollars higher than what they're going for.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ive noticed that too.

im having a hell of a time trying to find a decent sled.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
This is why I shopped for a sled all summer and bought one in september, instead of waiting till winter. I could sell my sled right now for almost double what I bought it for.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Yup. I remember back in February to June sleds were unbelievably cheap. One guy had a 2004 Ski-Doo MXZx 440 with a 600 SDI engine. That kind of sled would have normally pulled $4500+, but since the economy and time of the year, he was asking only $2800 OBO. A month went by and I checked if he still had it. Yup. Asked him if he wanted to trade for a 500ss, and he said cash only. Price came down the next day to $2500. Was on for a couple more weeks. $2400 OR BEST OFFER. Still took 2 more weeks to sell. Now that would easily bring $4000 this time of year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts