Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have been out of the sled scene for a couple of years now. My first sled was a 95 XLT special, then a 98 XCR 700, then a 04 Rev 800.

I just found a sled locate to me for sale. Its a 97 XLT with 5,000 miles and reverse. Owner says the motor was rebuilt by previous owner 120psi all cyl. needs a rope guide and carbs/ fuel system cleaned. Has a rip in the seat. He is asking $650.00

I am just looking for something cheap to bum around on at my dads farm in CT... i dont really plan on taking it north to ride trails and beat on. I have a 2.5 yr old that loves anything with an engine and i want to be able to take him for rides with it.

any input, price seems pretty good... what are your thoughts? what to look for desides worn slides and a ripped track?

thanks

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
As long as it really gas had a rebuild then it sounds good. I'd check motor mounts, see if they are bad. See how good/bad the suspension is. Maybe check to see the steering isn't sloppy and of course, how it actually drives, if it does needing a carb cleaning.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do you tell if the motor mounts are bad? are they rubber? im guessing they dry rot or rip and leave the engine loose int he chassis?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
if thats all it needs and it has been rebuilt doesnt sound to bad, maybe try and talk him down because of the seat and the carbs, otherwise sounds good to me i like the XLT's they sound awsome especially with the right can

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Pur Pony said:
how do you tell if the motor mounts are bad? are they rubber? im guessing they dry rot or rip and leave the engine loose int he chassis?
They are rubber. They dry rot, or rip/tear from the torque of high output sleds. I had a 670 tbat destroyed so many motor mounts that i got rid of it, even welding the crap out out of it did nothing. If they are loose or gone, they will allow the engine to twist, making a whole load of problems, including significant and fast belt wear, clutch problems and eventually general engine problems.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
mounts aren't rubber. The mounts are aluminum, then there are the rubber disks between the aluminum straps and the bulkhead to reduce vibrations

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
yes the mounts are actually the rubber, the aluminum youre refering to is the motor plate, or sometimes refered to specailly in sleds as a strap.
the rubber(bushing) between the strap and the bulkhead would be the mount.
also rubber between the top of the strap and the bolt.
if you were to order a motor mount youd get the round rubber.
but as for this posting
the sled seems like a fair deal, always try and talk them down no matter what youre buying. but what it needs is nothing really. parts for xlts are a dime a dozen. theres tons of them being parted out all the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i would grab it. I picked up a 97 XLT limited last Feb for $700 it needed a new track and the rear shocks were shot but the rest was in good shape. I love it. from what I have found, my only problem has been the chokes stick. I am in the process of getting mine ready for this winter, I replaced the track (used) and found a set of used Fox shocks.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
good deal, grabb it if you can. just check the norm. track, ski's, suspension. you should be able to tell if it has had engine work by marks on the nuts. but i wouldnt worry about it if its got good compression.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went and looked at it tonight... the guy has about 11 sleds, he buys them during the summer and sells some as is, fixes some, etc.....

the sled looks like it was riden pretty hard, but not horrible.

the bad------------

the front of the engine is wet with oil under the exhaust... this is somewhat normal for a higher mileage sled, correct ? could it be just a bad exhaust gasket?

the rear shocks look a little wet... its got the extra 12" though.

the track is not ripped... but its missing alot of out lugs and the studs are just about shot!

the seat is ripped right across the center... not really a big deal

the front heat exchanger has a few bent fins but does look like it was ripped with studs

the front "swaybar" is loose on both sides, looks like it just needs rivets...

hood has one tiny crack in the front.

the good-----

it has reverse!

the front bumper is intact

he was asking $650....... said he would take $500

has nice aftermarket plastic skis... (not factory plastic polaris skis)

overall it was not a bad sled, great for farm riding.... the only sleds i find for $500 around here are 1970's... never a 1997 600 triple!

im thinking about it!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
doesnt sound to bad, i would figure out where the oil i from from, but could be the gasket, remember the track will run you 300-400 easily new, cheaper used, seat tearing seems to be naturally on most sleds, not all but most, not sure what to say on the heat exchanger or the sway bar

if it was rode that hard may be other problems, make sure you start it and make sure it moves forward and back since the reverse

when the bad outways the good 2:1, maybe you need to look at another one, unless you ar ebuyin one you wana work on, but i havnt seen it 1st hand so its up to you[thumb]

·
Registered
105 Posts
sounds fairly good for $500
mine was also wet under the exhaust, it was the gasket in mine. I also use mine for a back yard sled, I picked mine up last Feb, so I rode it all of Feb before the snow melted (we got dumped on the week before I got it with 2.5 feet of snow here in Ohio) I rode it with a bad track and totally shot rear suspension! mine had over 1/2 the lugs gone from getting stuck in a creek bed, the stones tore them out so I was told! my xtra 12 suspension the shocks were shot, I only had spring, no rebound, shocks are pretty cheap I got as set of Fox shocks for $75 on Ebay and I was lucky to find a track locally for a real steal, $50 got me a track with less then 500 Miles, 1 inch lug and studs. the guy converted his sled to a larger track. my biggest problem so far has been my choke was seized and busted in 1 carb, so I am converting to a primer.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
for riding around the farm yard nothing matters, not like you are putting a hundred miles of rough trails down in a day.

oil on the enigne is normal if they let it idle for long periods of time warming it up.
as long as it starts good and runs nice i would buy it, i would have less fear buying that sled to make it through the winter than a used 08 dragon 800 with 300 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
madcow said:
for riding around the farm yard nothing matters, not like you are putting a hundred miles of rough trails down in a day.

oil on the enigne is normal if they let it idle for long periods of time warming it up.
as long as it starts good and runs nice i would buy it, [highlight=red]i would have less fear buying that sled to make it through the winter than a used 08 dragon 800 with 300 miles on it.
[/highlight=red]

X2 that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts