Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/237743835.html

it is the arctic cat 440 I am looking at?

what do you think?
It would be my first sled.
looking to do some backcountry snowboarding

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
uhm.. by backcountry you mean.. really deep deep snow?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I've got a buddy that has one, they are good sleds. We ride quite a bit and he's never broke down so I'd assume it's reliable. He can't keep up with my 400 but it's still pretty quick, especially for a 1st sled.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes deep snow
I want to take it back on vail pass and park at the bottoms of peaks and hike up with my snowboard. Will it be good for that?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would be a little wary if it was used as a rental, it may
have been overlooked when it came to maintenance. Otherwise,
the 440 fan was a fairly good motor, not a racer, but a good motor.
136X15 inch track should have good flotation, but with a 3/4 inch lug you will not be setting any hi-marks on the mountain.
For what you want, and the price, I'd say it would be a good
first sled. Remember, you may have to come back up any hill you drive down, and you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
thats not bad

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
for backy counntry i would get a more powerful sled. something like a 550 or 600 136 with a 2 inch lug at minimum.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Id go for the polaris Ultra RMK. It looks nice and doesnt look like it needs any repairs. I think its a triple, which could be a bit much to handle a first but you'd get used to it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Def go for the rmk, very reliable machine. Handles good. Not too heavy for a triple. Good price too.

Who knows, you might start leaving your board at home with a sled like that.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think your going to want to spend some more money on a sled. If you get this one, i believe it will be a pain in the ass. Not really capable of doing much deep snow, especially not anything uphill... Also not sure on how reliable the older cats are? Anyways, if you spend like another 500, you could get quite the good sled. And yeah i bet you would stop taking your board after a while, and only be sledding! haha

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Originally posted by bikecrazy1
[br]do you know anything about what this guy means by broken primary clutch bolt?
They over-torqued it and broke the bolt head off. See my post in your other thread.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Originally posted by Tripple650
[br]I think your going to want to spend some more money on a sled. If you get this one, i believe it will be a pain in the ass. Not really capable of doing much deep snow, especially not anything uphill... Also not sure on how reliable the older cats are? Anyways, if you spend like another 500, you could get quite the good sled. And yeah i bet you would stop taking your board after a while, and only be sledding! haha
Are you talking about the 440 or the rmk?

I would go with the Ultra RMK, its a fair price and if its piped they are an animal.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree on going with the RMK Ultra. For what you want to do with the sled the RMK seems about right. You may find that you need the extra power in the deep stuff.

·
Registered
963 Posts
i would say the rmk would be a good choice maybe a little on the heavy side. i like the idea by tripple650 to spend a little more money and get something that you know can get you almost anywhere you want.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Originally posted by bikecrazy1
[br]what about this one
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/238076402.html
700 cc yamaha
Pipe that Yamaha and it is a pretty wicked Mountain sled. How are the miles, overall condition? Has it been neglected? Rebuilt? Track in ok shape? It will Stomp that ultra in the backcountry and laugh at the others. The clutch bolt will have to be easy-outed. Drill a hole in it, tap an easy out, and twist back out with a 12" cresent. I have a buddy with that exact sled. He has over 9000 miles on it (only one topend on a mod!!) that is unheard of! anyway, good reliable Yammi.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts