Snowmobile Fanatics banner

should i buy

599 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Polaris_Parts_MN 
#1 ·
How were the 1997 xcr 440s, because there's a guy that wants 700 for one but the seat is coming apart and the hood is riveted because of cracks in some spots.thank you in advance

#2 ·
just to clarify, you mean the 1997 XCR 440? --the racer production red rocket, with the Liberty motor.
Or the 1997 XC 440 with the Fuji motor and the white hood?

I've had two '97 XC 440s, didn't like them. They wouldn't run right. Both the XC and the XCR have great suspensions with resevoir shocks.

#6 ·
make sure it has the 98 motor updates or run from it like it has the black plague, and it being a 97 you have to look them over really well as most if not all 97's were raced and had a very hard life, I had a 97 that I played with for a couple of years but aura of the "RED ROCKET" sled wore off as it just didn't have the guts I was used to with the 700 twins I've been on since 98, IMO they are a jekyl and hyde sled as you either get one that can be tuned in easily and run good or you end up chasing your tail trying all different kinds jetting and clutching setups and you end up wishing you never bought the sled even though they still are one of the best looking factory wedge sleds polaris ever put out, as for the 98 motor updates this is what you need to look for, check the part number on the cylinder, if it ends in 065 then it had the factory recall updates done, polaris basically replaced everything except they kept the original water pump,stator and flywheel,head and silver water cover and recoil, so just a little heads up on what you might be getting into, with the sled I had I was gonna convert it into a big block 6 or 700 but then decided to part it out and with the money raised from it I bought a 99 XCSP 700 for my wife and repo'ed my 98 700 back from her, it was a live and learn thing for me and I realized once the "COOL" wore off it really wasn't my kind of sled, and as for having a 02 PRO X pipe on it that sounds hokey to me too.

#9 ·
skidoo600racer said:
but i think the pro x pipe looks kinda cool on it.
So? just because it fits and "looks cool" doesn't mean it's the right application for the motor. I agree with 98700xc, the Pro-x pipe is extremely janky. The '02 440 and the 97/98 440s aren't even the same motor.

good choice leaving it alone, seems like it would be a ticking time bomb with that pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.