Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a 1979 Kawasaki 340 drifter for $100. I know it doesn't run but i think it would be a nice summer project. Any info on this sled? How fast, any common issues, premix gas? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
for 100 bux you cant go wrong,any vintage machine is fun to work on over the summer,im tring to find parts for this 80 motoski mirage 2 i have.

·
Registered
81 Posts
do what i do every year buy it fix it up bring it up here to the UP ride it in the relic ride then sell it. i do it every year and use the money to do it all over again. Like i said i'm getting a 73 rupp sport and a 69 ski doo 12/3 next weekend both for 100 bucks. so i'm set for 2 years. but these 2 are in real bad shape.

·
Registered
34 Posts
my 1992 polaris indy lite 440 goes 60 mph (so the spedo says) on a good day with a light kid.. haha..
so i would think you could at least get 50 mph out of it..

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
id go for it a common problem with the old kawis is the the pto crankseals like do go out so that would be the first thing you should change if you get it. heres a site with tons of info on kawis

http://kawasakitrax.com/

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info, i was told an 82 340 drifter tops out at 62 so that what im hoping for

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My first sled was a Drifter. Thing was a blast. 440 engine tho, would hit around 65-70

For $100, why not?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Pretty sure you have to premix. Should expect good mileage, just make sure to check out crank seal issue before goin crazy with it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can i cause more damage by running a bad seal, and how can i check it. another quick question so i dont have to start a new topic, is it safe to put a brick under my track to keep it of the ground through the winter, i have a stand but i dont trust it all summer.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Yes, you can lean out a piston by running a bad crank seal. Ask me how I know...... [thumb]

Take some carb cleaner, and while the sled is running, spray it behind the primary clutch. If the rpms change, then you have an issue.

Why wouldn't you trust the stand over the Summer?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its a little homemade one idk if it will sink or tip durng a wind storm, I would prefer bricks but I don't wanna ruin my track

·
Registered
2 Posts
You couldn't find a worse snow mobile to buy even if you were purposely looking for one. Whenever snow gets through the cab vents, it will get on the plug wires and run on one cylinder. Ive everything
The shocks on the skis and the one under the seat freeze and they contract ALL THE TIME.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Had the exact same sled back in the early 90's. While it wasn't the greatest sled it also wasn't the worst. We beat it up pretty good for a while.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts