Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 136" paddle (1.5") track on an xtra10. I've never had a sled that didnt have studs, but i've also never had a 1.5" paddle. If i dont stud it will I have problems stopping or cornering? What about when I line up with friends for fun, will i just spin the track?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Don't stud it, the studs will be too long and they will just pullout.

·
Registered
634 Posts
^^^^ I agree, plus you would likely have to deal with installing tunnel protectors. Just not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
845 Posts
randall said:
^^^^ I agree, plus you would likely have to deal with installing tunnel protectors. Just not worth it IMO.
Ya, installing tunnel protectors are far too technical to take the time to put them in.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
TeamFlatlander said:
Will the sled still perform as well without studs though?
you will be suprised what a track does without studs on or off ice, studs are for ice they do almost no good anywhere unless you are on a hard packed trail, i would never put studs in because they just tear out and ruin your track

·
Registered
848 Posts
The only time you really need studs is if you do ride on ice, or really hard packed trails. Which I'm assuming isnt the case because you have a 136" x 1.5" paddle track. I have ridden sleds w/ and w/o studs and most of the time i don't miss having studs... but there are instances where it would have really been nice to have them. I'm pretty neutral on studs right now though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, this helps out a lot. If I did decide to put the bare minimum in for "just in case", how many and what size would u recommend. Remember its a 136 1.5" paddle track

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Bare minimum, 96. Size? Wouldn't know with a 1.5. But I can tell you that if you get studs whether it's 96, 144 or whatever, I would put them all down the middle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'll let someone else respond with the length and #, but if you end up studding it use the tall nuts or you will be bending studs all over the place with studs that long...

·
Registered
848 Posts
http://www.studboytraction.com/general/lug_height_chart.html

Suggested 1.625" tall stud, support nut .750"

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i have 2 sleds with studs the rest are without, and i really don't miss them, we just bought a sled this spring and it came with a 2" paddle and a 1" studded and the guy mostly road on the river here, and when he went to the bighorns, wy he would swap to the 2", now that seems like alot of work, i really dont even miss them on ice, they are nice to have but you sled can get moving on ice to, basically the same priciple as studs in your car tires, it helps but isnt a necessity

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, well i really appreciate everyones imput. Heres what i'm dealing with. I have a 95 xcr long track with triple pipes and as i stated a 1.5 paddle track. I just bought it this spring. I also mentioned i've always had studs. I just want to make sure that when i line up with my buddies ( ones got a 700, the other an 800) I just dont spin the track out of the hole if we line up on a lake.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
TeamFlatlander said:
Alright, well i really appreciate everyones imput. Heres what i'm dealing with. I have a 95 xcr long track with triple pipes and as i stated a 1.5 paddle track. I just bought it this spring. I also mentioned i've always had studs. I just want to make sure that when i line up with my buddies ( ones got a 700, the other an 800) I just dont spin the track out of the hole if we line up on a lake.
If your gonna be lake racing a lot you better find another track, the lugs are harder and will rip off fairly easily being that tall, plus your hyfax/slides will just be burnt up. And all the power of your sled going onto the tip of a 1.6" stud? You are for sure going to at least bend them probably tear them out. If you do plan on riding hardpack or ice much at all i would rather have the most amount of studs possible just to help even the load between them

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
TeamFlatlander said:
ya, if your lining up on a lake then i would, if thats where you plan to do most of your riding, just get a different track like mentioned above or you will ruin slides and that 1.5" track, get a 1" with max studs for the ice

·
Registered
220 Posts
TeamFlatlander said:
I have a 136" paddle (1.5") track on an xtra10. I've never had a sled that didnt have studs, but i've also never had a 1.5" paddle. If i dont stud it will I have problems stopping or cornering? What about when I line up with friends for fun, will i just spin the track?
Customarily studs are for traction on hard pack or ice. For a stud to do that on your track you're looking at a stud thats like an 1 1/2" min long. I think you'd be rippin out studs all the time, if they'd even be very effective. I don't think I've seen 'em that long. Maybe shave the lugs down then add studs? Personally I'd leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I don't want to run studs ever again. Granted the only ice I ride is the occasional slough that our trail crosses, but last year I had one go right throgh my heat exchanger. Needless to say, it will wreck your day for sure. Unless you do a lot of ice riding, I would steer clear, because the shorten the life of your track and then you have the risk of one breaking off and hitting your tunnel or heat exchangers. On the other had they do help with stopping and what not, not enough for me to justify using them though.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
dodgetruck2 said:
TeamFlatlander said:
Will the sled still perform as well without studs though?
you will be suprised what a track does without studs on or off ice, studs are for ice they do almost no good anywhere unless you are on a hard packed trail, i would never put studs in because they just tear out and ruin your track
They do help to prevent kick out on loose snow. If properly installed and you drive with a brain. they won't tear out.

TeamFlatlander said:
No need for studs on a track that tall. The studs will roll and hurt performance that help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts