Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think about purchasing a new sled in the very near future. Just asking for opinions on all makes and models. currently ride arctic cat but hoping i aint missing out on other better performing sleds? HELP PLEASE?[?] TTT

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
also wouldn't pas on Yamaha

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well, it depends on what you are planing to do with it? What kind of conditions are you planing to ride in?

Raceman1

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i plan to ride some mountain and alot of feilds and trails. thank you..any ideas?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well, I would probably look at crossover sleds. They seem to be the best bang for the buck for both mountain and trails. That's what I would do anyway.

Raceman1

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Originally posted by raceman1
[br]Well, I would probably look at crossover sleds. They seem to be the best bang for the buck for both mountain and trails. That's what I would do anyway.

Raceman1

crossover is the only way to go if you will be dividing your time between trails and mountains. i would look for a 04-05 switchback or the new crossover 1000 for arctic cat. but for trial use 144 with tipped up rail work great(i should know) and still works good in the deep snow.

cheers
ill sell ya mine if your lucky
[:D]

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Originally posted by Hurley_03
[br]What about the f-7 fire cat sno pro?
its a great trail machine but it will need a longer track to play in the deep stuff well. your main goal is to have a track that is both trail friendly ie. lug height is 1.5 or less and longer enough with the lug height to provide good floatation. now with this being said the ext version of the f7 could work well but if you will be playing in deep snow a 144x 1.5 is a minimum imo. you could go 136 with a 1.75" lug but now your lugs are far more likely to break off. a 136 with 1.5 would be great on the trails but your ability to climb any kind of slope is limited. how soon were you looking to buy a sled. i am going out west with a few people running 136x 1.75 tracks and myself running a 144x1.5 so i could give your more insight after the first week in jan.

cheers

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan to buy in early to mid January. i really appreciate all input so i buy the correct sled for my purposes. 1. i plan to do alot of trail riding. 2. i have private land in the mountains which i have been granted permission to ride on. there i have to cut alot of my own trails. 3. i just want a sled, that if i need insane power to plow through some powder its there. what is a crossover exactly defined as? MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Originally posted by Hurley_03
[br]I plan to buy in early to mid January. i really appreciate all input so i buy the correct sled for my purposes. 1. i plan to do alot of trail riding. 2. i have private land in the mountains which i have been granted permission to ride on. there i have to cut alot of my own trails. 3. i just want a sled, that if i need insane power to plow through some powder its there. what is a crossover exactly defined as? MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED!

a crossover sled is defined as a sled that is a comprimise between 2 or more style of riding and intended use. normally they are mountain sled base chassis converted for trail use. now if i were in your position and pretty much am with most of my riding be trails but still play in deep snow with mountain trip also planned. you are going to want somethings in a sled. one is power if your not a person who has great control of a sled a 700cc minimum. two your going to want the lightest sled possible. three is track length and lug height (see previous post). these are the thing your going to have to decide on as they are not the easyest or cheapest to change. the rest of a sled is tunable by this i mean you can get better skis, handle bars, seats to suit what you want. now with out going to a dealer and buying a crossover style sled you can make one. this requires you to know what parts are able to fit your sled. from the sounds of it your best bet is going for a performance trail sled and then changing the track out for a 136 with a 1.5 lug, then setting up the rest of the sled to your liking. this is a choice you are going to have to make based on your comfort level on a sled. i know i can ride a shorter track in deep snow.so for me a 136 will work. you should also talk with people who ride the area around this private land you plan on using. they will give you certain insights for what is needed to ride there. a local dealer should also be able to help out. i can not stress enough how important it is to choose properly this is a major expense and not buying the right choice could cost you enjoyment and money down the line. not to scare you off this but i feel that the more you know the better and happier you are going to be with you choice of sled.

cheers

·
Registered
284 Posts
The polaris switchback would fit you well, nice trail sled but they also do well in the mountians.

·
Registered
369 Posts
definitely not a poo get a doo

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would recommend the '00 RMK 600 not to much sled but just enough for the friends to ride when the old lady doesnt![;)]My wife rides one and she is petite lil thing and she hasnt had a problem with it yet!

·
Registered
369 Posts
get a mxz renegade 600 ho sdinot a switchback go doo

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
2000 ski doo summit 700cc with the 136" track. the 600 is also a great motor in the zx chasis. if your looking toward doo I'd stay in the 2000 to 2003 range. the 98' and 99' were nice sled's but in my opinion the 2000 to 2003 are a nicer sled and weigh less with the new chasis. just my .02

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
are the rmk good performers or is the mxz renegade better? i know this is an opinion question..just looking for your 2 cents

1 - 20 of 51 Posts