Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the h*$# happened to my sled the other day? I have just bought a 97 Formula 500 and was out on the weekend with some friends. We were out on a flat stretch and I had it wide open for about 15-20 seconds when all of a sudden it just shut down. It was as if someone had turned the key off. I opened the hood and all looked fine so I tried the key again and it started up just fine. It has been fine since then too. Any ideas here?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Loose wiring maybe. Check your connections. Try another wot strech again and if it happens again then could be a flaw in the coil. Im pretty bad with electrical but Im sure some other gurus here could find a solution or advice.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Could have siezed a piston, pull the exhaust and look up into the cylinders and look for scaring

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Originally posted by TeamNFG
[br]Could have siezed a piston, pull the exhaust and look up into the cylinders and look for scaring
I would deffinatly do this before you try a long WOT stretch. Sounds to me like you might have melted it down.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I totally agree with NFG
you dont want to make it worse than it might already be but it may also be as simple as a loose wire

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had someone else tell me it may have been a momentary seize. I really hope that is not the case. I don't want to have to open up another engine. I'll start with the wiring and cross my fingers.[:(]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm kinda new to engine rebuilds and such.....but I always thought that if the engine siezed, it siezes right up.....not just partially and then lets go. Am I wrong on this or what? Seems kinda messed up to me.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
yes you are wrong, you can lock her up and once it cools then it seems ok, but then can cause more damage then if you fixed it instead of riding it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Learn somethin new every day. lol I appreciate the advice....now to check it out. Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check the color of your spark plugs you want a dark coco brown color for optimum jetting. If they are light,(white or gray) more than likely you had a minor piston sieze. If that's what happened and you have to rebuild the top end be sure to install richer main jets so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
plugs look good and as much as I can see down the plug holes, nothing looks wrong. Still checking electrical connections. Still haven't had it happen again either. hmmmmmmmmmmm......snowmobile gremlins?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by Revpowersports
[br]Check the color of your spark plugs you want a dark coco brown color for optimum jetting. If they are light,(white or gray) more than likely you had a minor piston sieze. If that's what happened and you have to rebuild the top end be sure to install richer main jets so it doesn't happen again.
You actually want a golden brown appearance for optimum jetting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
not sure about gremins that sounds like a prob. thats gonna come back and haunt you. when your cheking your wireing put some electrical grease on the connectors for water proffing. do compreionion test if poss. looks like a cool sled good luck

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
If you want to get a look at the sides of the pistons, pull the pipe and then the reed cages. Take a couple hours but might be worth it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Could this be fuel related? Is the fuel pump pumping enough fuel at high rpm? I'm having a similar problem on my sled-but mine has done this more than once-about 5. Shuts off like you hit the kill switch, you stop, give a quick look under the hood, pull the rope and go. Only happened once to you? LUCKY. Good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure about pumping enough fuel at high rpm. I've checked all the wiring and it seems fine. I'm not too excited about tearing anything open to look inside.....I figure if it's broken anyway I'll fix it when it's good and broke. Still it has only happened that one time. Done a lot of riding since then too and no problem so far.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Originally posted by furrybushman
[br]Not sure about pumping enough fuel at high rpm. I've checked all the wiring and it seems fine. I'm not too excited about tearing anything open to look inside.....I figure if it's broken anyway I'll fix it when it's good and broke. Still it has only happened that one time. Done a lot of riding since then too and no problem so far.
Spend the 20 min to pull the exhaust Y pipe and look up its ass to check piston and cylinder damage, if you don't have damage then you have another problem, if you do have damage then you found your problem.

HELLO.......sorry I was just hearing for an echo!

As far as your theory of wait until it is good and blown up, what a stupid idea[xx(]If it is a piston failure, keep riding then just maybe your piston skirt will break off, fall into your crankcase, get jammed into the crank, push a big hole into the bottom end, wrecking your crank and not to mention the extended damage to your cylinders. But look on the bright side, you will no longer need to look for your problem, unless your new engine does the same thing.

DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE OF US, BECAUSE THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE BEFORE!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by TeamNFG

DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE OF US, BECAUSE THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE BEFORE!!!
It's not that I don't believe what you guys say. Most times I do(some tend to play with peoples heads)...that's why I posted the question on here. Would I need to buy new gaskets if I remove the pipes or can I reuse the ones on there? As for the extensinve damage you say could happen....I never thought it would cause all those problems! Just thought it would sieze up, that's all.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Could have siezed a piston, pull the exhaust and look up into the cylinders and look for scaring

how could it seize read the post again guys it states that he started it up fine right after

1 - 20 of 38 Posts