Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally looking to put a set of SLP triple pipes on my 1997 Polaris XLT SP, but I just can't justify spending the $600. I know the pipes are the best hp increase for that sled, but I still need to stud and clutch it among other things. So now I'm looking into after market silencers.

I realize the biggest change these things produce is in the sound of the sled. The hp increase they provide and weight reduction are minimal. So my question is can anyone attempt to describe the sound that the three following silencers produce. How loud are they at the various rpm's. I'm not looking for one that's obnoxiously loud, but I do want one that will turn a few heads.

Precision Performance Products - Superlite
MBRP - B&B Eliminator, and
DG - Snow-Lite

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
277 Posts
HEY TFIN70. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR JUST MAKING YOUR SLED SOUND A LITTLE BETTER, OK. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR MORE POWER, FORGET IT. BY JUST CHANGING THE SILENCER YOU GAIN NOTHING, I DONT CARE WHAT THE COMPANIES SAY. WE DYNO'D SEVERAL SLEDS WITH AFTERMARKET SILENCERS AND WE GAINED A WHOPPING 1-2 H.P. ON SOME MODELS AND ACUTALLY LOST 1-2 ON OTHERS BECAUSE OF LOSS OF BACK PRESSURE. YOU GAIN NO PERFORMANCE FROM 1-2 H.P., BECAUSE ONCE THAT EXTRA HORSEPOWER REACHES THE GROUND FROM THE ENGINE TO THE TRACK YOU LOST HALF OF THE GAIN. SLP TRIPLES WILL GIVE YOU A WHOLE NEW SLED TO APPRECIATE. NOTHING LIKE AN ADDITIONAL 20+ H.P. TO PERK IT UP. IF YOU GO WITH A SILENCER ONLY, THE SUPERLITE AND DG MODELS WILL BE THE LOUDEST. THE MBRP HAS THE DEEPEST, SWEETEST SOUND WITHOUT BEING ANNOYING. NEVER HEARD A B&B ON A POLARIS, JUST A CAT. IF YOU GO WITH THE PIPES, I HAVE A KILLER CLUTCH, GEAR SET UP COMBO FOR YOU. TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK.
'MAYDAZE'

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Hello Maydaze, welcome to the forum.

Could you please not type in all caps, it makes it look like you are shouting.

Thanks.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info maydaze. I realize there is no real hp increase with only an aftermarket silencer, as I previously stated the hp increase and weight reduction are minimal. But I was curious about their sound levels.

However, I would be interested in any additional clutch setup info you might have for my sled with only the silencer. I plan on either adjusting mine, or getting a kit.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if you cant afford 600 on something that makes a big difference how do you justlify 150-200 on something that does nothing. i understand that you want a tougher sound (i am still young enough to appreciate that) but i wouldnt waste the money on the silencer and work on clutching and gearing.
i found a 20 tooth top sprocket for the xlt when i was cleaning the tool box. it looks like i never got to use it. this fall i can sell you a clutch kit. the other kits are around 180 on up i think i can get as low as 160 but i will stand behind it.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd put my two cents in on this one only because I am a maker of aftermarket silencers but I won't because i don't want to get into an argument over hp gains and losses and sound and all that stuff. If you want to know what I think about it you can pm me. I think maydaze might have some good points, but i don't agree with him on everything. Just remember, dyno numbers don't say a whole lot all the time, most companies do "short bursts" on the dyno which can spike the numbers greatly, but the real test comes from the field, 1 on 1 testing

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I'd have to agree with rocket on most of his points, he owns an aftermarket company which designs and makes pipes, races snowmobile, and knows his stuff. This reminds me...I need a set of pipes!

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Madcow, I hear what your saying. But my reasoning is because right now my sled is bone stock. Regardless of pipes or a can, I still NEED to get studs for the track, and some clutching work done. With a pipe, I'm pretty sure I'd have to go with a minimum of 144 studs. So with triple pipes, clutch work, and studs, I'm looking at right around the $1000 mark.

If I just went with the can (cheaper), I wouldn't need as many studs either, say between 96 and 120 (again, cheaper). So I'm guessing I'd save some where around $400 - $500. Believe me, I'd really like a set of pipes for it.......but unfortuanatly money is an issue right now.

PM or email me some info on that top sproket you have and about a clutch kit for my sled. Thanks.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a DG silencer that was just sand blasted and re-painted that I used on my 1994 XLT 580 I'll sell cheap. Not sure what year XLT's this will work for though?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the offer trdehmer, but I already bought a Superlite from Precision Performance Products. Maybe someone else here would be interested though.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
62 Posts
well i have freinds with xlts like mine 2 94's and a 96 and they all have triple pipes and they have all gone thru cranks, one of my buddies has gone thru 3 granks already becasue when u pipe em and everything on xlts they need to be welded and trued

·
Registered
72 Posts
i got a DG on my 97xlt rmk and it was loud, but then we took the packing out of it... and now its louder... on a scale of one to ten its loud.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by xltrmk
[br]well i have freinds with xlts like mine 2 94's and a 96 and they all have triple pipes and they have all gone thru cranks, one of my buddies has gone thru 3 granks already becasue when u pipe em and everything on xlts they need to be welded and trued
That's how it is on these XLT's. Some have one crank problem after another, others run pipes with no crank problems for 15,000mi. I agree thou, when running pipes on the XLT, your pushing the limits of the motor, and the chances of engine failure increases.

I'm also leary of welding the crank. Instead of the crank slipping and going out of index, any excessive force or twisting is transferred up to the crank, rods, case, cylinders, etc, so when a welded crank fails, your whole block is pretty much gernaded.

Tflin, keep us posted on silencer, sound, performance, etc. I too would like a little extra rumble without, IMO, the worries of piping the 'ol XLTsp.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL! Did you guys by chance see when I originally posted this? It's almost a year ago. [:D]

Anyways I ended up getting a SnowLite by Precision Performance Products out of Idaho last August. I love it! Its not too lowd, but does give a nice little growl. Its much, much lighter than the stock silencer. It was originally like $230, but I got it as a close out for only $95!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
So what do you think of the silencer besides the sound that is? Did you notice any difference in throttle response? Or is it just fun to listen to?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Offshore24
[br]So what do you think of the silencer besides the sound that is? Did you notice any difference in throttle response? Or is it just fun to listen to?
To be perfectly honest with you, it's more fun to listen too. There may be some increased throttle response, but it may just be percieved due to the different sound.

If I was only looking for a performance increase......is it worth $230? Nope. You could get much more out of clutching, for a lot less denero.

But for $95.....you bet![}:)]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hey TFIN I found a really good deal on some pipes for an XLT Xtra-12. If you're interested let me know and I'll tell you where. After much deliberation I decided against getting them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts