Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a silencer for my 2001 xc 800 but i don't know what to get. I heard that the B&B eliminator has a nice sound to it. I want somthing that is going to sound really different. Which would you recommend the race or trail can from B&B eliminator. Thanks

Geoff

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
It depends on how loud you want it to be. The race cans are pretty loud. Don't get me wrong, they sound sweet. But I bet your ears would be ringing at the end of a long day of riding.

The trail can is more quiet, but still gives a nice unique growl to it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The best silencers in my honest opinion, are the SLP models. They are much quieter than the "can" style, but offer the same benifits. Light weight, and a nice change in sounds. No louder than stock, but just the tone changes.

If you need help finding one, I can help ya out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I also like the B&B...it's loud...but it's oh so sweet. Depends on how loud you want it...if you don't like it loud go w/ the trail one and not the racing one....or something else.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You should check out Prescion Performance cans, they sound awsome on the xc6 and 7... Louder than stock, but not annoying, they give a great growl too... I haven't heard one on a 800, but like I said they sound killer on the 6 and 7!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The b&b trail is great I use it on my xc 700 it not to loud unless your half throttle or more. Had one made from hindle that was brutal. Im all for noise but I can't afford the tickets their handing out now

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't generally advertise myself on here, but we do make 2 different silencers for polaris that will fit any liquid cooled twin sleds from 2001 through the current year. Loud or quiet.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by Alaskangold
[br]You should check out Prescion Performance cans, they sound awsome on the xc6 and 7... Louder than stock, but not annoying, they give a great growl too... I haven't heard one on a 800, but like I said they sound killer on the 6 and 7!
You're telling me. I picked up a Super Lite from Precision Performance a couple of months ago for my 97 XLT SP 600. It sounds awesome! Of course I've only been able to hear it on the track stand so far. A little louder than stock, but has a killer growl....very unique!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Tfin your in for a real surpise when you hear it on the snow then. I thought mine sounded very shitty on the stand, when it hit the snow I was very amazed. I have the "Standard" MBRP B&B Eliminator Silencer.
Standard is pretty much close to Loud but not quiet like the trails, they scream.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I was just gonna add that maybe someone should ask rocket if he made any for that sled. I would like to hear what people think of his silencers. From what I have heard he doesn't put anything out that isn't top quality, which is a good thing. [^]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Well then Rocket, what would one of your cans run for a 02 XC 600 - the loud versions of course! But as far as from the big manufactures PP is the way to go for Polaris.....IMHO

·
Registered
502 Posts
02 XC 600 Polaris twin loud version would be the Ripper Open and it is priced at $199. Quiet version is the Quiet Ripper and it is priced at $249 but I think that might possible change. Ripper Open is being manufactured now, should be having some ready to ship by the end of next week possibly. Info about them is on the website, I think I put it all on there, but if I didn't you can always e-mail or call me with questions.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Ooops, I didn't notice your website on the signature line. I see for the Ripper Open it says jetting required, could you elaborate? $199 seems very resonable for your silencer - any thoughts on how much for shipping to Fairbank, Alaska? Also have you finished testing on it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
THINK about what you are doing when you buy one of these silencers. They can have a direct effect on the impact our sport has, and in this age of the tree-hugger, we do not need any more bad press than what we allready have.

You can get a silencer that is no louder than stock, is lighter, and will make more power than any of the "loud" or "race" ones.

Remember, this is a 2 stroke, not a 4 stroke. Making the exhaust less-restrictive on 9 out of 10 sleds will more than likely kill the bottom end power. Just ask MBRP. Their "trail" makes more power than the "race". Only gain on the "race" - Louder, VERY loud. Just a $250 trail closing device.

Companys like SLP, Bender, Dynoport are making chamber design silencers that are addressing the sound issues.

IMHO - Thay are a waist of money. Spend that $200 in clutching, reeds, etc.. and get some real performance.

I have been given a Dynoport and a MBRP Trail to evaluate by both companies, and you know where they are right now? Sitting on the shelf. The dyno showed no gains, and I like the steathy approach to my sleds. For the same $$$, I put a DynoPort single pipe on my sled and picked up 4hp thru just about the entire power-band. Real gains were made.

·
Registered
502 Posts
MMp,

Every silencer we make except for the polaris and yamaha rx-1 are quiet and lightweight. We are only selling the loud polaris because a dealer wanted to buy about 100 of them and we decided to make a few extra. The RX-1 is an easy answer. NOw all we can do as a company is recommend that the loud silencers are used for closed course racing applications, and we never tell anyone that they are anything but what they are. If they are loud we tell you they are loud and will upset some people.

As far as buying a silencer that is no louder than stock but will be lighter and make more power: you need to research this a little more. I do this for a living and I know exactly how to make a can quiet. There is a limit as to how light you can make it, but still be quiet. As far as making power, I won't even begin to try explain this. Cost has a lot to do with this issue. There is power to be found in a can only. Some others that claim 6 or more horse from a can only are pretty much blowing smoke up yer ass though. Especially when they claim it to be on an 02 or 03 zr 800 efi. This is not possible with the current configuration of arctic's efi system. If you don't believe me then you should look into it more and you'll find out.

I'm not saying anything bad about you, as you make good points. I am however in the business of making silencers. Not all companies make loud stuff. And the trails aren't getting closed from a loud silencer only. I can put the loudest can ever on my sled and no one will ever complain. But when your always jacking the throttle it's gonna be loud. Irresponsible people get trails closed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just want the obvious to be pointed out.

If just one person reads this, and thinks about blairing past some farmer's house who lets the trail pass on his prop., rather than just doing it, it is worth it.

Not brand brashing aagainst ya at all Rocket. Sounds like you are one of the responsable manufacturers that thinks about what goes into it.

I have a freiend who just had to have a MBRP "Race" for his MXZ600. That thing is louder at engagement than my ProStockMachZ with open pipes and no silencers. I hate being around his sled when we are riding.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Originally posted by MMP
[br]THINK about what you are doing when you buy one of these silencers. They can have a direct effect on the impact our sport has, and in this age of the tree-hugger, we do not need any more bad press than what we allready have.

Thanx for your concern, but were we ride there are no set trails. We don't even ride within 50 miles of a house, I agree with you that certain cans are annoying. Example: a buddy of mine rides a 97 V-Max 700, he just bought a "rumble pack". Well when he installed it he fired up the sled and damn! it was defning, his neibor had a muscle car, when both were fired up you could hear the sled over the muscle car......WAY to loud of a sled imo

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi rocket, I have a set of PSI modblaster II pipes on my Ultra. As you know these sleds for some reason saw huge gains by adding pipes. You also probably know that these are obnoxiously loud. I have removed them for now but it was like ripping the heart out of that sled. My Question is... Have you ever considered making silencers to Quiet down these sorts of pipes. There will be thousands of guys in my predicament. A new set of quiet pipes will cost me way too much especially because Ive allready got a grand into the PSI's. With the laws being enforced more up here in Canada we all will have to do something. I think there is a large market for you to tap. I could be your first customer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts