Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[V]Want to put a silencer on my 99 XC 600. Guess it'll shave appro. 12lbs off the weight of the stock one. Sounds great also. Then the dealer around me who also races alot tells me that the stock one is meant to give the ultimate hp and I won't see enough from the after market to get my money's worth.[:0] What's everyone else's opinion please. Thanks Mark

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hopefully rocket will respond to this one, as this topic has been disscused at length before. If he doesn't, instead of retyping everything, I'd sujest you run a search of this forum and put "silencer" in the search window. This should pull up all kinds of info concerning this.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tfin. I'll give the search a try. Mark

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[:(]I've been trying the search but it doesn't work. Mark

·
Registered
290 Posts
Leave it stock, I had a couple on my machines ans switched and them back to stock. They are louder with little notice of power gain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
you will lose top end speed due to the fact that the 600 needs back pressure to get peak rpm, but with a silencer you get mental hp from the noise.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL

·
Registered
103 Posts
I could never understand why they are called silencers...[;)]

·
Registered
502 Posts
It is truely amazing what people think and what they actually know about silencers.

Quote by KUYPS
"you will lose top end speed due to the fact that the 600 needs back pressure to get peak rpm, but with a silencer you get mental hp from the noise."

I am not bashing you, but I would like to know if you know this for fact and if you can prove it to me? Have you tested this with something besides your mind and what friends and others tell you? Do all silencers do this, or just aftermarket? I want to see proof of this claim, not just what someone dealer, or friend of a friend who's a mechanic for this guys uncle that you know who heard it from tim down the street.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I got so p'od that I forgot to tell mrpolaris18 to pm me if he wants me opinion.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I'd listen to rocket, mrpolaris18......what he didn't tell you is that he owns and opperates a performance shop that produces their own brand of silencer. So I'd PM him for (yes unbiased) info.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Tfin[8D] Hey Rocket I Pm'd ya and I'd sure appreciate your input. Sounds like your the man I should be talking to. Thanks Mark

·
Registered
608 Posts
The need for back pressure is an urban legend. The tuned pipe is what effects your power. Instead of backpressure the pipe actually helps pull the exaust out wich actually comes out in pulses. The reason you lose power is that you need to change the fuel ratio as well. Everything needs to be in sync. I guarantee if you remove your muffler and airbox, tune it in properly, it will ripp beyond your wildest dreams. Although you will never hear the same again.

It's just my 2 cents but I wanted to help clear the contoversy up. I too once believed in the backpressure myth.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Like I said KUYPS I'm not trying to bash anything about you, I just wanted to say that what you said originally wasn't correct in my opinion. I have run this stuff in the field and on the dyno. I have seen this stuff with my eyes and know for fact that what you said isn't true. It may have been true with your experience, but that is only 1 out of many variables. I got nothing against you in any way, but I see people give the backpressure line many times and know that that is not correct. It goes with what zackattack said. There are many many different variables.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts