Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Single or twim pipe setup

801 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ski-dude 
#1 ·
I'm putting pipes on my 98 XC 700 sled this summer, I'm just tring to figure out which one will benifit me better, either a single pipe system /polarisman/../images/users/lifttillithurts/single.jpg, or a twin pipe setup/polarisman/../images/users/lifttillithurts/thumbnail.jpg. PSI claims the single pipe makes 59 hp @ 5500 RPM and 128 hp at 8250 RPM. The PSI twin pipe makes 57 hp @ 5500 RPM and 136 hp @ 8250 RPM. I'm trying to figure out which one to go with to me, it looks like the single pipe has more bottom end, while the twin has more top end, but I heard that twin pipes run hotter. What are the dissadvantages to running it hot, will it cause damage? Also, which pipe would be better if I were to do some engine mod such as porting it out, the single or twin pipe?

See less See more
#2 ·
With the double pipes you wil have to re-jet. If you are buying them new they will have all the info you will need. With any mod I would suggest getting a pyro gauge. Get the double so you can see what each side is doing. With double pipes I run about 1000 deg at 6500 rpm. When I get on her for a long run she will climb to 1400+ deg. at 9000 rpm. I try not to run her much over 1400 to be safe unless it is for a short burst.

#4 ·
The twin pipes will run cooler, there is only 1 cylinder heating the pipe. Also Polaris sleds like hot pipes, thats why they ceramic coat pipes to keep the pipe hot. Also in snocross this year Polaris intoduced a retard button so they can heat up the pipe for a better holeshot. Also with the porting the twin pipes will respond better.

I clutch my sled to run at peak RPM as quick as possible I don't like to ride half throttle, half power. [;)]

#7 ·
for trail ridig, i would go with the single, look at the peak hp and see how many rpms it covers, the twins are more likely very very peaky, the single would be a nice set it up once and go, i think the twins will be a finiky day to day set up. porting will compliment both or stock pipe. always rejet when you expect hp increase, it take fuel to make fire.

#8 ·
Also in snocross this year Polaris intoduced a retard button

LOL ok guys not causing problems but I always wondered what polaris did to keep from burning up sleds. Know we know the put a retard button on. LOL!

Just in case you don't know how to jet it. You think they could have come up with a better name for it than calling you a retard. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.