Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy in my area has a formula z 583, unsure of the year, its purple, but not a 99. anyway for a couple seasons he has not driven it much beacuse it doess odd things. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it does, smae thing with fouling plugs. if its is an easy fix, we might buy it
Has anybody else come across something like this?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fouling plugs isn't a big deal. Usually just dirty carbs. Check the compression, if its 120 or more on each side buy it.
Start runnin amsoil, take the carbs apart, clean all the circuits with carb cleaner and compressed air, set the airscrews at 1.5 turns out from closed, see how it runs, still fouling plugs then try backing out the airscrews 1/4 turn. it should run better even if it still fouls them.

usually your are safe to drop one size on the mains on a stock sled, so you can go ahead and do that, that should help also.

You may also need to lean out your slide needles and possibly go a size smaller on the pilot too. You'll get it worked out.

583's were very dependable and pretty quick motors.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sounds about right
I had one come into the dealership for plug fouling compression was good carbs clean replaced the plugs checked the settings (float height etc.)I ran it didnt have a problem at all course I didnt sit for a long time and just let idle
customer picked it up went out brought it back 3 times with the PTO side plug fouled out
Tried another set of carbs off a running machine same result
Timing was ok and everything also no air leaks
after a few calls to Bombardier they said check the oil pump one-way check valves they should hold 3psi before they open up come to find out the PTO side check valve wouldnt hold any pressure so more oil got in on that side which made it rich and foul that plug
OH also keep in mind on that 583 Z it uses staggered jetting
MAG carb is a VM 40-98 with a 260 mainjet
PTO carb is a VM 40-97 with a 280 mainjet
whatever the case let me know what you find out if you get it
The one I worked on was a 98 FormulaZ 583

1 - 4 of 4 Posts