Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some reading on other forums, and I've been seeing a lot of people complaining about Rotax 600 and 800 series 3 engines having ring trouble. The pistons don't disapate the heat well enough, the rings flake and they start losing compression. Is there anything to this.

I'm planning on snow checking an 04 this year, and I've been considering the 800 REV. So these issues (if there's any truth in them) have me a little worried. I'd especially like to hear from owners, but all opinions are welcome. Anyone?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I know this is a first for me to hear. There are quite a few REVs or just "original" ROTAX 600 and 800 sleds around here, and none of the owners have mentioned anything about it. Some have over 1000 miles on the things too.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i have a 800 and the rings do flake a little, i just replaced mine this year, but compression is about the same, and most of the faking occurs on summit 800 where those guys run full throttle and very hurd on tyhe motors for a long amount of time, so it not a big deal to normal riders

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would have to agree with you matt, us mountain riders are probably the hardest on engines and rightfully so. Its hard to slow down when you find areas like this everywhere you look.
/snofan/../images/users/summitteer/c3.JPG

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well hopefully this is just a handful of unlucky guys I heard this from, and not the general trend. Other than this, the more I read, the more I like the REV. Planning on taking one for a demo next weekend.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i have not heard much about the problem you mentioned. i've got 4700 miles on my 01 mxzx 800 and 500 miles on my 03 b.m. edition rev. both have been totally bulletproof. the only thing i didn't dig was the fact that my rev completely destroys my mxzx in any racing situation. must be something to do with those 10 tooth drivers they put on the b.m. edition, which by the way should be on all "x" revs in 04 along with the 440 racer style tunnel(just hoping) i'm not a huge fan of the articulating tunnel on this years revs athough they seem to work great at keeping snow dust down. but,back to the topic, the only thing i had was a piston update done on the mxzx at about 1700 miles. other than that it's been pretty cool athough it couldn't run down the 800 cats that year...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
hey matt, just wondering what you get for compression out of yours. also, if you have any go fast goodies in it that you thought worked better than others. mine-ported jugs and rave valves, billet head with '13' domes, 27 tooth top gear, reed spacers, all sorts of clutch goodies. also, what is your thought on jetting down with d.p.m.----thanx

·
Registered
502 Posts
Don't have many miles on our shop sleds(600 and 800 revs) but haven't have problems. They are my favorite sleds to ride bar none. I still get a wet ass though when riding. Oh and the 800 is way to much sled for consumers! I cannot believe they let people ride this monster! It is by far the scariest accelerating sled I've been on, and I've been on lots(zr800,900, f-7, f-5, prox800,600,rx-1,t-cat) Our rev800 knocks the panties off of our f-7 and rx-1.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to hear that! As I'm seeing an 04' REV 800 in my future.

·
Registered
837 Posts
dg, i think you will like a set of v force reeds, i put them on everyting i have and they really increase low and mid range, and i have jetted my 800 down to 490 for the reeds, you will have to check the plugs, dpm will keep your settings no matter where you ride, so you can set the jetting at 0 or 30 degrres and it will be good at any temp or altitude, my compression is 155 in both, but see people get worried when the yonly get 135 in both but most of the time thats just the gauge, the inportant thing is that they are the same or about the same. some of the stuff i have on my machine and its not many yet but i have done the clutchine and v force reed spacers exhaust restricter superlite can, and some of my own porting, and also i revalve shocks and raised the front suspesion and some other parts on that, and i installed a racing handle bar set, i have all the info on my machine here http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2873

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have heard one guy say that on the 800, the stock steel reed cage sitting against the alum cylinder caused some alum to get worn off with the vibrations, which most likely would end up in your bottom end, so he put in some Vforce reeds with some sort of spacer? I don't know any of the specifics, so maye not much help at all sorry, but its what I've heard, maybe Vforce would know what people are doing witht this spacer.

Kille

G

·
Talking about jetting. I jetted my Summit 700 to 490's. Helped alot. I also gutted the airbox and put on a muffler can. When I gutted the airbox it made me run a little lean on the bottom end. I have a set of #20 pilot jets ordered for the bottom end now. Stock Pilots are 17.5.

D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts