Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got a free ski doo blizzard from my friend today its definantly an older sled and has twin pipes which kinda surprised me. I took the carbs appart and cleaned them and just cleaned it up a little bit and finnaly got it started. It takes forever to start and once u get it running it will idle for a little bit then just die If you give it any gas at all it dies right away. Can anyone give me some suggestions on whats wrong with it or how to fix it? all help is appreciated thanks in advance

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hard starting can be a comprestion issue. Have you cone a comresstion test? If it's to low they are hell to start. And with he sled dieing when you give it gas it has to be a carb problem. Take the carbs off and clean them again and make shure all the passage ways are clear.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent done a compresion check. Ill do that today. Ill take the carbs back apart and blow everything out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cleand the carbs there spotless. It still will start and idle if you keep priming it, but if you try pressing on the gas it dies. Could it be the fuel pump?

·
Registered
572 Posts
check fuel lines. might have a cracked line sucking air. or maybe 1 from the fuel pump. or maybe even the fuel pump itself. defenitley a fuel issue. it sounds like. im assuming the fuel pumps on those are vaccuum from the crankcase. check that line. might need a rebuild kit for the fuel pump. just some things to check.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeaa there is a line going to the crankcase so its vaccum. If that line is still good ill just get a fuel pump rebuild kit and do that cause the carbs are ajusted according to ski doos specs and they are spotless.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so carbs are good and i just got a new fuel pump and its getting fuel. But now its only running on one cylinder. they both have spark and the plugs look fine. any ideas?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
125 in the left and around 127 in the right but im not sure if its good or bad for that sled. It starts right up now that the carbs are set right and it has a new fuel pump but just dies still when u press on the gas and only runs on one cylinder when its idling. Its got me stumped i just cant figure it out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had the same problem with my dirt bike, just adjust the fuel flow to the engine, my bike wasnt getting enough gas to the engine so it would just bog out every time I gave it gas.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The plugs should be a cardboard brown in color, maybe a tad darker. Check to make sure the slides are moving in the carbs. We had a sled that had the cables pop off the slides every now and then and it wouldn't run good at all when it did.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brand new plugs. Ill just order two carb rebuild kits and try that. Im gonna see if the oil injection is working to thats something i didnt think about.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
you have rebuild kits for carbs that don't need a rebuild kit! I have cleaned hundreds of Mikuni carbs and have never seen a rebuild kit for them, only replacement parts, but they, 95% of the time, need cleaning only

Going back to your bogging issue

How exactly did you clean your carbs?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took them all apart including the jets and what not i ran wire through them just to be sure there wasnt any clogged ones. Let everything soak in the parts washer for awhile then sprayed it all off with cleaner. Put them back together and set the fuel and air screws. But nevertheless i figured out was wrong with it! It had carbs on it from a blizzard 5500 and its a 9500. I figured it out cause i was going through this tub of miscelanious junk and they were sitting at the bottom of the tubI switched them with the carbs that where on it and it started up and ran fine. Thanks for all your help! Im new to working on them and doing things myself on my snowmobile normally i pay someone so it was a big learning experince for me even though its something thats pry simple to most of u ha.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Good your learning

The wrong jetting is huge (as you found)

Call a Doo dealer and they should beable to give you jetting specs for your sled engine

PS compressed air is the big one cleaning out carbs
I've never soaked a carb
only brake clean and compressed air and blow out every jet and orfice, and besure they are clear
wire was always a last resort IF there was a total block

1 - 20 of 21 Posts