Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 88 ski doo safari with a 377 in it and when it stopped runing i took the heads off and the left cyl was all scratced up and the piston was scrched and the was a indent in the top of the piston and the rings where gone but the other side was fine so my question is what happend and what should i do to prevent it??? thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Post a pic of the piston and cyl if you can....sounds like one side was running lean...

·
Registered
539 Posts
almost sounds like an air leak? crank seal gone?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it only has one carb on it too its also oil injection

·
Registered
12 Posts
sounds to me like a lean condition. Ive seen this problem many times early in the season. a little varnish in the carb from sitting in the summer may have leaned it out. I learned that lesson once. Now, i will absolutly not ride for the first time until the carbs are off and i see they are clean. This goes for my four wheelers too. I had an old polaris plug up in just two months of sitting with cheap gas. The hottest (PTO) side usually goes first. I like to fog my machine before summer as well so i know its lubricated for the first winter ride. That sucks about your piston failier.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so what do you think that i should clean the carb?? and what about the main seal could that have caused it tooo?????

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its the crank seal behind the primary clutch. If it goes (and they do) air is sucked in and the cylinder closest to it leans out and dies. You can test it with a running engine by spraying carb cleaner on it....listen to the RPMs. Not sure how you can check it with the engine dead other than pull it apart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes, absolutely clean the carb. DaveB is right about the seal as well. at this point, i would just replace it. If you pull the clutch, you should be able to see if it is bad. I know a freind who uses these machines for tours and i bet they got a million miles on them. They are good little sleds and have very few problems that i know of.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i should just take the clutch off cause i have the engine down in the basement and its all apat except the clutch so just take it off right? and clean the carb too? i am boring my clys out at school and i ordered 2 new pistons 20thousands over and i ordered a engines gasket set so do you think i need any other parts???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts