Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin is looking at a Ski-doo Formula III, and I was wondering if it was a good sled?

· Registered
93 Posts
hat year is it? 96-97 were in the F-chassis, 98-99 were in the CK3 chassis. My friend has a 96 FIII and it is a heavy boat but goes fast in a straight line. The suspension isn't too good, the 96 had the old C-7 suspension and the 97 had the SC-10 which would make it ride better. It really depends what it is used for. For rivers and lakes it is a good sled, but for rough trail/ ditchbanging it is terrible. I have never ridden one in the CK3 chassis so I can't tell you much about them but I hear the CK3 chassis is supposed to handle decently.

· Registered
38 Posts
sledaholic is right the early ones were very heavy. but did move pretty well for there weight, just dont try to go in deep powder with it unless your with a group so they can all help dig your ass out when you get her stuck.lol
i dont know about the 98-99's thought. ive nver been on one of them.

· Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 1998. How were the motors? Its a triple right?

· Registered
393 Posts
I have a 99 Formula III 600 and yes they are triples. mine is in the CK3 chassis and it does handle better then the earlier ones versions. it may not be as trail friendly/curve hugging as a edge chassis polaris but when there is any kind of straight away, bang zoom you are gone. my friend will come around a curve and all he will see is snow dust because i have pegged. i have over 6000 miles so far on mine and it has ran fast and strong.

I would recommend that if your cousin buys one that it get a 'well baby' check up. found on mine that when i bought it a couple of year ago with 1100 miles on it that the mains were a bit corroded and the one of the chokes was not closing completely.

there were a few problems with the earlier 600s with oiling to one of the outer bearings but the 99s were good and a few problems with the 700s. But then again you only hear about the ones with problems, not the thousands of them that work without trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.