Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have installed my jaws pipes on my mach z 800. a couple guys i have talked to seem to think that i can adjust my tra clutch to work with my new pipes. i thought i would ask some of u guys here what u would reccomend. do any of u ski-doo guys think this is possible or should i get a clutch kit.thanx in advance lars[8D]

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well you should be able to adjust the clickers to get setup but you won't be as happy as with a kit and some tuning.

Neal

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Very certain the TRA will adapt, but the best bet (I think) would be a new clutch. The TRA is already close to it's limit with a 800cc. Now you just gave it 15-20 more HP to deal with. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what kinda clutch would u reccomend rotaxrage thanx lars

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Sorry...gone fishin' for a few daze...I'd probably ask around about a Comet 108. But there's probably some others out there. I WAS gonna put a 108 on mine (til I saw the price), but mine's a 617cc and mainly stock.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was thinin the same thing comet 108. i have hade experience with the comet 102 and it was an excellent clutch awesome holeshots.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
True on the 102, but w/ the amount of power you are looking at the 108 should (imo) work great.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Just my .02 but the A/C 9 tower is a stronger design and basically the same thing as a 108, I would consider trying one of these on your Mach it works great in my T-Cat. Add a set of Heavy hitters and you woun't even be giving up the adjustability of your TRA. The TRA is a great clutch for drag racing if thats what you do I wouldn't change it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The new rotax engines have very conservative port timing so they don't gain much from pipes. They flow just enough to make the 135 or so stock hp. Find a good shop to port your cyls and you will find that it works much better. Also, the head design is weak. Many people over at snowest.com have dropped several jet sizes when installing the RKTek heads (www.2strokeheads.com).

As far as clutching goes I would get goodwin buttons and a thunder shift kit. Figure out which helix gives you a good shift patern and start adding weight until you can't pull rpms any more.

Most of my clutching experience is mountain based so your milage may vary but you can't go wrong with some adjustable weights.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
odoa4 this is what jaws reccomends what do u think for my mach z with jaws pipes.operating rpm of pipes 8700-9000
410 main jets in all 3 cly at sea level i think thats to high
gut the air box
o-4 needle jet tube same as mach z 97
clip position p4 air screws 4 1/2 turns
20-22 pounds on secondary
and optional 44 helix at 18 pounds
hollow threaded steal pins 10.3 grams

what do u think on this set up. i may just take it to big john at slead head racing and have him give her a whirl im gonna call him one of these days and go over it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm BAD... I thought you where on an MXZ. Disregard my other post, that is for the doo 800 twin.

As far as your clutching goes I have NO experience clutching a big triple at sea level.

There are a couple of things I can say though:

1. The 44* helix on 18 lbs is going to give you some serious backshift. Being a mountain rider this is what I'm after, but you may like something that shifts a little faster like a 47 or even a 50. Some people like the steeper coated helix like a black ice 47. Very good upshift and backshift. Goodwin low friction buttons are a must IMO.

2. 10.3 grams sounds pretty reasonable for that rpm. I run 16.5 or so in my 670HO @7900 rpm and its fast.

3. I'm not sure, but 410 jets sounds high to me too. If it where me I would run that and start jetting down as I felt comfortable. Make sure you are checking the piston wash and not just the plugs. Look for thumbnail size wash on your piston next to the intake ports.

Here are a couple of links that may help:

Goodwin driven buttons:
http://www.goodwinperformance.com/child/shop-ski-doo.htm#Clutch Tools

Thunder shift kit (adj pins):
http://www.thunderproducts.com/thunder_shift_TRA.htm

Jetting information:
http://www.snowtechmagazine.com/articles/baseline/baseline.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
the T.R.A. clutch ca handel any thing you put to it i have a mach z its clutched it works amazingly great and my boss has a formula 3 for grass draging and no problem cluching it for diferent tracks. the comet 108 is a peace of shit it will not take the power of the 800

1 - 12 of 12 Posts