Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did ski doo run a primer on their sleds?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My 89 mach1 had a primer. I think they started with the formula sleds in the late 80s

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Probably 1965-2011. Some models have primers, some have chokes, some have neither. Almost all race sleds have primers (except for my arctic cat that had levers on the carbs for chokes ). My MXZ 500 had a primer. My Ski-Doo MX-LT had primer and choke. My Rev 440 had a primer.

If your looking to buy a primer and thats why your wondering, you can buy them new or used from just about any snowmobile parts store.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The old skidoos from 73? on back used Tillotson Carbs which used a choke. No primer. My 1979 Blizzard has a primer as well as my 1999 Summit X.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 583 has has it and idk if I like it yet, I have good luck with chokes
Is it worth switching sleds and to what?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
My buddies 2000 MXZ has one, and my other buddies 2009 MxzX RS has a primer.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
smit-trailfire said:
My 583 has has it and idk if I like it yet, I have good luck with chokes
Is it worth switching sleds and to what?
It's all a matter of opinion. I prefer primer over choke, but it's not that big of a deal if I get a sled with a choke to want to change it over.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Primers IMO are a waste of time. They may have had them on there early sleds, but I've mostly seen just chokes. My brothers 04 Polaris race sled only had chokes. Most commonly, I've seen ski doo's from the 80's up till just about now with primers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot, IMO very easy to flood and out in the mountains a choke seems to be better

·
Registered
277 Posts
smit-trailfire said:
Thanks a lot, IMO very easy to flood and out in the mountains a choke seems to be better
WHen my STX was cold, I would actually open the hood to start it so that I could see the fuel flowing into the carbs. It typically only took 3 pumps and it would start with partial throttle. I did have times that it flooded when I firt go it too. Pretty touchy, but you'll find a routine. You're better off priming too few times to avoid flooding.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
PolarisIndySKS said:
Primers IMO are a waste of time. They may have had them on there early sleds, but I've mostly seen just chokes. My brothers 04 Polaris race sled only had chokes. Most commonly, I've seen ski doo's from the 80's up till just about now with primers.
I loved the primer on my mach1, sled started on the first pull every time, no matter how cold or long it sat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts